Is this an a-pawling idea?

I'd be LOL if this wasn't such a serious matter. When Dave can tell us how to "set up" the wood perfectly then maybe a case can be made.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I don't get that. Are you saying that

It is perfectly safe if it has not reached the blade. If grabbed by a pawl, you are stuck.

You don't (at least not easily). At that point you are commited and the cut has been started, maybe finished, and the splitter kept it from grabbing on the blade and kicking back. They worked as designed.

As stated, dual pawls won't do crap. Put them on if you want, but if it was the safety device of the century, they would be available already and in use. They are useless for what you want. Pawls won't make kickback less likely. Evidently you don't understand the process. Learn what makes it happen, then decide. People here are trying to educate you but you are still insisting your idea is a good one, even if useless, but that is your right.

FWIW, seatbelts and air bags have different functions and work together in many cases. Pawls in front of the blade have about the same effects on safety as putting a Venetian blind on the windshield.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I REALLY like that one!

Mind if I borrow that line???

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

"Pawls won't make kickback less likely."

Where they put there instead of Venetian blinds?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

I think you guys, not just to pick on Dave, but I had to reply to someone... are a tad harsh. Let's not pile on to a regular poster.

Before I go on, I think the one error is the lack of a splitter. I agree that with most solid wood stock a splitter is a necessary part. Personally, I use splitters during all solid wood rips.

However, if a woodworker mainly works with plywood, MDF, composites, or selected, straight grained, kiln dried S4S stock, I think a properly set up saw will not kick back, even without the splitter.

**
**

B A R R Y

Seems you have put blinders on incorrectly also.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

B A R R Y wrote: ...

For the most part that's so; but that relies again on a lot of factors the most important of which is still operator attention.

I'd only be so harsh because of the (apparent) claims of "never" are, imo, simply foolhardy if believed for the poster himself.

In 30 years or so, I can only recall a couple of real incidents personally and both of them were attributable to operator error -- but while we all may like to think we're good and only do safe things, on occasion everybody is going to make a mistake--one can only hope the results aren't disastrous when one does. So far, I've still all digits and other pieces-parts, but I've seen enough who don't to remind me.

(Working post-accident review teams at power plants is enough to remind one of what consequences can be also, even if not directly OT here.)

--

Reply to
dpb

"B A R R Y" wrote

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but that's not been my experience.

IME, one of the most kickback prone cuts, at least on a 3-5 hp saw, is when a lone operator is making those often awkward, initial cuts on large sheetgood panels, sans splitter. (DAMHIKT, and one of the reasons there is always a splitter on my TS :) )

Do it on an underpowered saw and you might be able to overpower the kickback, have it happen on a saw in the 3HP + range, no matter how well setup, and you may well be unpleasantly surprised. :(

Not to mention that to "properly" set up a table saw, then declare it safe from kickback as a result does not bespeak of much experience in the declarer.

Just my tuppence, however .. :)

Reply to
Swingman

The problem with you is that you refuse to get any drift. I'm trying to decide if you're a troll or not.

If you are, you're semi-busted. If you're not, think of why I even considered that you might be.

You're coming into a forum that has a wide range of experience, but many of the answers you're getting are from the guys that have been around a long long time and either intuitively know when something is wrong, or have been down the road and learned a lesson. You don't seem to be able to benefit from their accumulated experiences. Almost all of the answers you've been getting on your various questions have said that they wouldn't do what you're suggesting.

As always, there are a variety of ways of interpreting answers like that. One is the "we don't do that cause we've always done it this way" POV. The implication is that whoever says that has his head up his ass and would never consider something that isn't tried and true. For some people in here, that may be true. For most, they are open-minded enough to realize that there are many ways to do a job, as long as it's safe.

Another way of interpreting the answers is that these guys simply don't know what the f*ck they're talking about. If that's true, why even bother asking them?

Yet a third way of looking at the answers you're getting is that they're just pulling your pecker and of course you've come up with something that is patentable and will make you a fortune.

Or, maybe they're just right.

I"m still thinking troll.

Reply to
Tanus

Sure, your contraption is not what I would call safe. A splitter on the back of the blade and on the front blade is no more safe than a stick of dynamite with a fuse on both ends rather than only on one end. The problem is not so much the splitter/fuses as what they are attached to.

Reply to
Leon

It's not a question of piling on. The claims clare made are not only foolish but dangerous if left unchallenged. They need to be vigorously repudiated.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I the last two and a half months or so, you've posted questions/statements/whoknowswhat about different ways to make chips...

...dual fences posted on 2/2/2008 ...some sled arrangement for a dead RAS that you think oughta save the world ...some goofy circular saw extension handle gizmo...three times ...and now, some BS about kickback pawls ahead and behind the cut on a table saw.

Out of eight posts, one made sense...wondering about how uniform a rip cut should be. However, that one makes me wonder if you've ever even MADE a rip cut on a table saw, because I'm thinking that if you had, you likely would have been able to answer that one all by yourself.

In the rest of these posts, your ideas were, I believe correctly, shot down by people who know how to make sawdust and generally keep fingers attached to the hand. And you argue that the collective MUST be wrong. Never seems to occur to you that you might be wrong. Ever.

Now, I'm not going to say that I never have a weird idea...but if I ask about it and have as many people tell me that it's a dumb idea, I'll at least think to myself "Self, they may have a point....let us rethink our position on this."

I'm also not going to tell you that we, the collective, is/are always right...but if you never hear a dissenting opinion other than your own, either there is a vast conspiracy to get your ideas to sell and make millions without you getting your due, or you're wrong.

Now, which do YOU think the right answer to that one is?

So if you're a troll, go back under the bridge you crawled out from under.

If you're not a troll and truly want input and advice, feel free, but maybe, just maybe try to not argue juts because someone says something that doesn't fit your conclusion.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

LOL! It really sucks when people don't agree with your train of thought! Then it is very convenient to have your own little world to live in, where everyone is happy, your ideas are always best, and nothing ever goes wrong! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You're coming into a forum that has a wide range of experience, but many of the answers you're getting are from the guys that have been around a long long time and either intuitively know when something is wrong, or have been down the road and learned a lesson.

What did I learn in this thread?

=93I think the only safe answer from anyone here is to suggest you get a conventional saw and not use your setup.

And Set up your table saw CORRECTLY and it will never kick back, even with no splitter, no pawls, and NO SAFETY GUARDS.

And

No, the kicking is done by the back part of the blade. Eliminate it by using a splitter, proper technique, and standing to the side just in case it happens anyway.

And

I never had a use for those silly pawls put on some factory splitters.

One can really learn a lot from the above.

Reply to
BoyntonStu

Had you read the lines ABOVE my comment about the pawls, maybe you would have learned something. Visit a pro shop and notice that those pawls won't be present . Look at a riving knife equipped saw. No pawls! Heck, I've even put photos and pictures on the web to help less experienced folks learn

You're looking less like someone trying to learn, and more like a troll every day.

Perhaps you can start a woodworking club down there at "La Boca Vista, Phase II (since Phase 1 is sold out!)" , and find your answers there.

Have a nice day!

**
**

B A R R Y

Isn't it "DEL" Boca Vista?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Stand clear of the line of fire like everyone else does.

Reply to
Father Haskell