Inlays in hardwood floors - part 2

The more ive been thinking about this and talking w/ some people - I think i may have come across an easier solution.

Before I lay the floor - make 14 "blanks" and do the inlays in the blanks. The blanks will consist of 3 stips of the hardwood floor boards (4" wide each) glued together and cut to 12" lenghths.

Then do the inlay in the blank. Then lay the blank in the floor when the appropriate row is laid. that way if I make a mistake w/ the router - its just the blank that gets hurt - instead of the entire floor.

My concern is the movement of the floor w/ the humidity and how the glue will hold up.

Any comments on this?

Thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Rob V

Rob V asks:

Sounds OK to me. Your blank should 'float' within the normal floor installation without major problems. I'd make sure to leave an appropriate to the season spacing at each side and end, though.

Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Reply to
Charlie Self