How Quiet Can I Get From Boxing a Noisy Shop Vac? - Followup

I want to box in a noisy shop vac (from Ridgid) to minimize its noise

>to _very_ low. I have come across many designs like that in books and >in this newsgroup, and I believe boxing in a shop vac should cut down >the noise significantly. I have a couple questions though: > >- How quiet should I expect to get from boxing it in? Will it be >quiet enough that I can use it at 6:00 o'clock in the morning on my >boat (parked on my driveway) inside the boat cover? Please note that I >live in a 1/4 acre property and my neighbor's house is practically next >to my driveway. What's the dB level that I can cut down to anyway? > >- Will the motor run hotter than it should if it is enclosed inside a >box with air vent on the side of the box? How much room I should leave >on top of the motor to allow enough cooling? I am asking this because >I need to run it with my sander to sand the boat deck flat, and this >may take longer than 10 minutes; therefore, I am afraid of overheating >the motor. > >Yes, this is not a strictly woodworking question. But I figure people >into woodworking should be the expert in this area. > >Thanks in advance for any info. > >Jay Chan

I posted the above questions quite a long time ago. I got a lot of good advices. I "finally" finish making the box to enclose the noisy shop vac (from Rigid). The result is very good in term of sound reduction - around 9 to 10db reduction. I have also replaced the old sound reduction device (from Rigid that plugged into the air outlet) with a version that uses spongy thing to reduce noise (also from Rigid); this buys me an additonal 3db sound reduction.

The shop vac doesn't seem to run hotter than normal.

Having said this, I don't mean to recommend people to build a box to reduce the noise from their shop vac. There are several problems of using the box: (1) This takes time, money and effort to build the box when we could have built other things (2) The box takes a lot of valuable shop floor space (3) The cheap $13 spongy thing from Rigid may be good enough for some people who don't need to cut down the noise that much (4) At the end, it can only keep the noise in the range of 67db (not as quiet as what I want) because the shop vac from Rigid (an old model) is very noisy to begin with.

If I would start this over with, I might get an expensive but very quiet shop vac instead of building the box.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan