How Immobile should a mobile base be?

Hi all,

I bought a universal mobile base to put under my table saw and I have a question. I put it together as per the instruction sheet and set it down to test it, but -colour me stupid here- is the thing not supposed to be immobile when in use? No matter where I position the levers the darn thing keeps on moving. It gets a little more difficult to move in certain positions but I really wouldn't want to rip a 2x4 with the base not absolutely firm on the ground.

I also busted a bolt while hand-tightening it. Maybe I just got a piece of crap?

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

Which mobile base did you get?

When at rest, does it touch the floor with three points or four?

I have a Jet mobile base, made by HTC, that is a three point and it sucks. My bandsaw wobbles on it. I have many Delta mobile bases, a couple are universal, and they all sit on four points when you aren't rolling. They are rock solid.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

It's supposed to have 4 points. 2 wheels and 2 rubber "levelling pads". In total there are 4 wheels but 2 of them have levers that (as I understand it) are supposed to lift them off the ground. The 2 that are supposed to lift are also the 2 that pivot.

I bought it from Lee Valley. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. The instructions weren't the greatest and after having one bolt break maybe I should toss it before I causes me any more grief.

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

It really should lock down. I have the jet univeral mobile base with extension. All 6 wheels have locks and stay in place. Its not the best base in the world, but it does lock in place and do the job.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Could be. I visited the local woodworker's shop the other day and I had a choice of three different "universal" bases: the Delta, Jet and some off brand I'd never heard of. The fellow talked me into the Delta and I'm glad he did. There was no real price advantage, the Jet and Delta were the same price (you supply the wood) and the off brand was more money (was made completely of metal; no wood required).

I visited the local hardwood supplier and bought some red oak. Milled it down and put the thing together. It's easy to move when I want it to, but it's rock solid when I don't. The Delta has two small fixed wheels and then one large castoring wheel that raises the whole thing off the levelers.

I loaded my planer onto it.

I bought two of the bases for about $100 and enough oak for both of them for about $35. None of the hardware stripped or broke when I put it together.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That's correct. I'll put the saw on it today, maybe the weight will keep it from moving? I'll let you know.

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

Morty, just a small point here, but why did you use red oak? I used white oak for mine. It's a lot stronger and it's also a little cheaper (at least in WI).

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

They don't offer to help carry the stuff at the hardwood place I went to. I am VERY arthritic, having crushed one of my hips many years ago. I saw the red oak first and that was as far as I cared to walk. No prices marked on anything that I could see.

As for strength, how tough does it have to be? I was helping a neighbor beat something into position with a scrap of it and a sledge. The sledge barely marked it, even though I wasn't holding back. It's quite tough.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
Mark

Well, there you go!

Just call them. They'll go out of their way to ensure the base is working properly for you, and if it isn't I'll bet you $10 they offer to either replace it or take it back with them paying the shipping.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yes they will, gotta love those Canadians :) I'm thinking that the problem is on my end though. The instructions for assembly were good, there's just no instructions on how to use it. I know, I know, most of you wreckers can figure these things out on your own, some of us just need reassurance every now and then that we've done a setup properly.

I followed T's advice and put my tablesaw on the base. That did a lot to stop it from moving but the only way I can find to stop it completely is to put the levelling pads in a fully extended postion. Only problem there though, is that now the saw is nowhere near 'level'. If I adjust the legs to make the saw level, there is just way too much movement in the saw.

And now I see it's snowing outside. Great...

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

My $20 Harbor Freight bases work great which I'm guessing is a similar style as yours. Solid as can be when in the down position and moves great when in the mobile position. It really sounds like you don't have the adjustable pads adjusted properly or you are trying to use them to make up for an uneven floor. I don't think the adjustable pads are really designed to make up for a big unevenness in your floor, maybe you're expecting them to do too much? They should be adjustable to the point that the saw rests on them when you lift the wheel and in the air when the wheel is down. This shouldn't be difficult to do on a relatively even floor.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

I'm sure the uneven floor is part ofthe problem. I'll have to find the most even spot when I go to use it. For the most part I'm happy with the base, gives me a little more roomm to move around.

Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

I have one from LV under my table saw; I presume the same model of stand. I think it would require a very great effort to move it. How heavy is your table saw? My general is over 300 lbs and nothing short of good casters or really good slides will let it move easily once it is on the floor. Actually, the little levers to pop it up on the feet require quite a lot of force...

Reply to
Paul Kierstead