How I made the curved chair backs

I posted a few weeks back looking for ways to make curved chair backs for 6 cherry mission style dining chairs. There were several good suggestions, but here is what I did:

The backs were 3" tall, and 17" long (between the tenon shoulders). I started with a blank 1 ½" thick, and wanted a final thickness of 3/4", which defined the limits of the curve.

I wanted an accurate template to draw the curves for roughing out on the bandsaw, so I went to Home Depot and got two 4 ft rods which I attached to my router base as trammel rods. I set the radius thru trial and error to give the proper curve over 16" ( I set the start of the curve in a ½" at each end).

I used 3/4" plywood for the template, as I had some scraps on hand. I cut out the first curve, advanced the rods 3/4", and made a second curve. That defined the profile of the back, looking down from the top. I left "ears" of about 6 inches on each end. I used this pattern to draw the curve on the blanks. I installed a new blade and retuned the bandsaw, then cut close to the line.

I made a template for a pattern bit out of the 3/4 plywood with the same radius as before. I made an inside curve, then added about 4" to make the outside curve. This provided a base for the router to sit on. Again, I left a few inches on each end for attaching to blocks and clamping. I screwed this pattern to 3" blocks, so the blank would fit under it. I used a 2" flush trim bit with the bearing on top to clean up the top half of the pieces. I then flipped the pieces over, lowered the template to be flush with the top of the backs (for router support), and used a bit with the bearing on the bottom to clean up the rest, using the already smooth part as the reference face.. There was a slight problem with tearout on the inside radii, but generally I was left with a smooth surface. Some sanding with the spindle sander and some scraping was then all that was needed.

There was a fair amount of set up time, building the jigs, etc., but I saved a ton of sanding and scraping from the way I did the last chairs I built, and ended up with beautiful, smooth curves. There are details left out, such as how to clamp the pieces for routing, but everyone will have a different way. Save the curved bandsaw cutouts as they are helpful in this regard. I should add that the tenons were cut before the curves were done...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Possibly this will help someone down the line...

David

Reply to
david blumberg