Garage Workshop Heating

I wasn't sure of my ability to install it 'properly' then. Plus, it required cutting holes in my roof for a chimney pipe. It's an 85,000 btu furnace, and like I said I have a 16x24 shop. Seemed like overkill, but it definitely would have been FAST. I also have a furnace blower (squirrel cage) on a stand that I use for quick ventilation of paint fumes and what not, and I know it's pretty powerful. I just couldn't imagine that much air coming out of a heat duct in my ceiling.

Reply to
mark

Phisherman

Well, someone who's willing could certainly diffuse the air duct. You're exaggerating the problem anyway, if my two workshop ducts are any example.

As to capacity "overkill," in a space not constantly heated you favor a high-capacity unit, because you can heat for the human quickly, and not be so concerned about the loss through the walls. It will be thermostatically controlled, as well, I would say. If constantly heating, you don't need the quick gain, because you're mostly there.

Reply to
George

Wow - Quite a string. Answers to two questions:

Watts may be watts but the ceramic cube or console heaters put out a lot of heat with low consumption. They also have a small blower that pushes air through the console. Also, they do not have the glowing coils that can, in themselves, cause a fire concern. The same 10" cube I use to supplement my kerosene heater is also used in our 32' 5th wheel. Once the furnace brings trailer temp up the cube can handle most heating needs. Our 13 year old cube is small compared to the ones available now.

Check with building material salvage operations, heating contractors, or the classifieds for a used furnace. The one my cousin used became undersized for a residential remodel/add-on. About 25 years ago I also got one from a friend who had to up-size because of a remodel and he sold his old one for $25. He even had his heat contractor inspect the firebox before he sold it.

In a garage you should check with local code or the fire department. They will likely want you to raise it off of the floor a foot or two to get the flame as high has possible (gasoline fumes tend to settle). We both had simple angle & pipe stands made to elevate them. Mine was a down-draft furnace and it was used in a very small shop. I just let it blow out the bottom onto the floor (when the blower came on you could actually hear the windows rattle a little in the 220 sq ft building. It could take the temperature from 30 degrees to 65 in a matter of 10-15 minutes).

The cousin's was an updraft and he added a 2-direction plenum (no other ducts) to the top that spreads the heat around his 1,400 sq ft shop. They do take up a little space. My current garage shop is a little too tight to give up the space. I just move the cars out and get the heaters going.

Next shop - furnace again.

Reply to
RonB

Putting a 85,000 btu furnace in a 16x24 shop would not be a proper install! A 30,000 btu would be over kill, unless the walls were made of screen. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I have a ceiling hung, horizontal, residential style gas furnace in my garage, with central air too. Does not take up any floor space, nice relatively quiet heating. Only thing better would be radiant floor heat! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Yeah, my current propane wall mounted direct vent is 35K, and it's just right.

Reply to
mark