FWW Email Newsletter

Scour a cast-iron surface, then protect it from dampness

> > by Lon Schleining

SNIP

I quit using paraffin wax on my tools the day I discovered TopCote, a dry, > silicone-free surface lubricant and water repellent manufactured by Bostik >
It doesn't build up a sticky residue the way paraffin wax > inevitably does, the lubrication lasts almost indefinitely, and most > important, it really keeps moisture out. Spray a liberal coat on the surface, > let it dry for a few seconds, and buff with a paper towel. I repeat this > every few months.

SNIP

Finally, to keep your saw looking like new for the rest of its life, make a > simple cover for it. Cut a sheet of 1/8-in. or 1/4-in. plywood to the size of > your top. The last thing I do before I leave the shop in the evening is lower > the tablesaw blade, move the rip fence out onto the extension table and place > the protective plywood cover over the cast-iron table. One parting thought on > the plywood cover: Mark it clearly so you don't mistakenly cut it up into > drawer bottoms. (Not that I've ever done that.) >

Two comments:

Hmmmm. I didn't know the term "almost indefinitely" means "every few months"... ; )

In the Pac. NW, if you leave the plywood covering on cast iron during the winter months, you'll be very sorry. The plywood will absorb a lot of moisture from the rain-soaked air, leading to rust on the tool surface.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

No doubt about it. Elevating your plywood on some sort of non-hygroscopic material will keep the rust at bay, however. Plastic strips work well.

I keep a plywood cover on my tablesaw because it's in line with the throw zone of my lathe when I'm roughing bowls. Notice after five minutes of turning and rub out for ten....

Reply to
George

Thought I oughta add what I do DO for the winter months: I saturate a few sheets of newspaper or packing paper with WD-40 and put that on the cast iron. If I don't plan on using a tool for an extended time I'll saturate the paper with cheap motor oil. Works well but the WD-40 is easier to remove with a quick rubdown of kerosene or spirits while the oil takes a little more time and materials to clean.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC