Frost line insulation???

I am looking for something to insulate the upper four feet of my basement shop other than the fiberglas insulation I presently use. I don't want to lose too much space in the shop to walls so I would like to find something that has a decent "R" value and isnt that thick. What types of methods are available? I have considered removing this insulation and just having the poured concrete walls but don't know how much effect that might have on my heating bill and comfort level.

Thanks in advance,

Blair Chesterton

Reply to
Blair Chesterton

I insulated the outside of my foundation with ridgid foam insulation. My foundation is exposed by about 18 inches, so I used 4 x 8' sheets horizontally. So yes I had to do some digging, and I applied a concrete base brush on material to cover the foam, and used some drip edge to cover the top. This was approved by my utility company for basement insulation, and it does make for a warmer basement, and smaller fuel bills. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
ToolMiser

I'd use styrofoam insulating panels cut to fit between the studs.

Nova

What I have on the exposed concrete section of my workshop is a Dow product called Polyisocynurate Insulation. It comes with a foil skin on both sides and is available in various thickness's and R values

1/2"........R3.3 5/8"........R4.1 3/4"........R5.0 1"...........R6.5 1 3/8".....R9.1 1.55"......R10 1 7/8".....R12 2"...........R13 I put up a vapor barrier, then placed the insulation against it, and held it in place with 2x4" fastened to the exposed studs of the interior walls, insulated with fiberglass on the studded walls then covered it all with 1/4" plywood held in place with exterior screws. And I never have to worry about where I mount things on the wall.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Did you put the vapour barrier _outside_ the insulation?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I actually have two different barriers. My home is right next to the ocean, and we get a lot of salt spray, and horizontal rain, so I have painted the concrete with drylok waterseal, the foam, and then a vapor barrier, all under the plywood.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

This is a good material, but check it for cost effectiveness as compared some others. Foam bead board (the white stuff) is R4 per inch versus the

6.5 Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski