Finishing the new shop floor

what are you doing about the gaps at the edges

i would not bother sanding between coats but i would get some high traffic poly

Reply to
Electric Comet

The endorsement of someone using the product for a decade carries more weig ht than someone like me that used it once or twice. I have recommended it to others and they liked it as well. Thanks for the info, real experience is hard find these days.

I wouldn't leave a shop floor unfinished. Once you get the equipment in an d placed, it will be almost impossible to get the shop equipment moved arou nd in a fashion that will you to put some finish on the floor. And with a shop full of "shop stuff" that is dusty and dirty, foot traffic that grinds in the dust and dirt from outside and inside to the flooring, you will nev er have the opportunity to work a surface that pristine again to get maximu m adhesion. Not mention how much easier a finished floor is to clean and m aintain.

Just a thought...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There's never just wood over concrete, it'd be a moisture nightmare in addition to a foot killer. You raise a wood floor an inch or so above the concrete with furring strips (if that's not the wrong name). There are also interlocking panel waffle-tiles to keep your foottsies above the concrete, at a price.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'll have to try it. Lots cheaper than Varethane Floor finish ($50/gal), which I've mostly used for "utility" projects, the past 10-15 yrs. I may not have the patience for the oil (dust collecting before drying to touch), but it does state it's fast drying, so I'll see.

One thing to consider about a finished wood shop floor. My shop is a repur posed rent house, with 2" wide oak flooring in some areas. The old finish is in fairly good shape. When sawdust collects, even a light dusting, it's slippery. Finished Advantech may not be as smooth (as slippery) a surface .

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nothing, would be my finish of choice for a shop floor using AdvanTech.

IME, you'll regret it in short order in that application.

Part of the charm of the wood shops of yore was a floor finished with nothing but sweeping compound to hold the dust down.

Reply to
Swingman

Probably not worry about the sawdust in them. Maybe vacuum them occasionally..

Reply to
swalker

Swingman,

This has me confused...

Sounds like your first choice would ge regreted.

??

Reply to
swalker

Regret applying a finish, is what I understand.

Another option: I mentioned my oak flooring is slippery, when sawdust collects. I put a (paper-backed, cheap) roll rug around one table saw. A roll rug may be cheaper than finishing or painting.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sorry for the confusion.

What is my finish of choice for a shop floor of Advantech?

Nothing

You will likely regret doing anything else to it ...

Reply to
Swingman

LOL ... takes a coonie cousin to understand one.

Reply to
Swingman

if your equipment is not moved around much it probably will not matter

maybe when they fill up with sawdust add some titebond or hf acrylic

Reply to
Electric Comet