Electrical conduit on the floor ?

Can't you run the cable across the ceiling and then drop down to your lathe?

John

Reply to
John Manders

I would think that the floor of a wood shop would be kept dry. Water is certainly going to hurt your materials long before it attacks EMT.

Reply to
Greg

Anyplace that sells EMT.

It has a quasi rust proofing process applied, but it is a long way from hot dipped galvanize.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I guess you didn't read the links to the manufacturer sites upthread a few notes. The NEC standard does not require EMT to be protected at all but I have never seen any that wasn't. Back in the 20s it was painted but anything since WWII is galvanized, either electroplated or hot dipped. When I was a state electrical inspector I saw stuff in government buildings that went back that far.

Reply to
Greg

[isn't galvanized (to insert context)]

I only checked one manufacturer (I found a listing of

65 of them on some website), but Allied clearly states that their product is galvanized.

the marvels of the web and search engines ...

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

If you have one of those hard-nosed inspectors that likes to jerk you around, tell him to put it in writing and sign and date it. That can get them to back off if they aren't enforcing code, but their own desires. You'd be surprised how often they have no authority to make you do things the way they want. It's an old ploy those that have an attitude use to run you in circles. Once they sign it and it's not necessary for code compliance, you have them in your palms, assuming the local government isn't totally corrupt. That's something I learned from an old acquaintance that worked as a wireman for the majority of his life.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Aluminized, actually.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

That would certainly be my choice, assuming it's possible under the circumstances.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

At my factory job, there are machines, lifts etc. with EMT conduit running on the floor. Best I can get from the codes are that the conduit must be supported(anchored) less than or equal to every 10 feet and 3 feet from terminations. I don't have specs to floor areas w/traffic. Check out Chapter

358.xx (2002) Another poster suggested THWN wire, and I strongly agree. The "W" is for wet.

Luck, Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

Sounds like a good way to make an enemy you don't need on the off chance you might be able to get his ruling changed.

Here's what the NEC has to say,

"The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code will have the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules."

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

There may be aluminized the EMT, but I've never seen it. It's pretty obvious EMT is galvanized when you weld it.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yup..you get that nasty yellow mang that grows on it...

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Could be you and I have egg on our faces. I am almost certain I have seen stickers on some EMT that says it is aluminized, but I'll be damned if I can find anything that indicates I'm right when I do a search on the web. Maybe my next trip to an electrical supply warehouse will bear fruit.

Harold

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Use LiquidTite conduit if there is any chance of standing or running water. As long as it isn't a trip hazard, the inspector shouldn't have any problems with it. We used to use it all the time for power runs under raised computer-room floors, where there was a chance of water if and when the HVAC system leaked, or in one case, the roof on an old building.

You should have a short length of flex at the machine end, anyway, if you use rigid conduit -- with liquid-tite, you don't need to bother with that, so saves you a bit of trouble there.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Edwards

It's galvanized, just with a thin coating. Usually electroplatd on rather than hot dipped.

Somewhere I have seen a chart that graphs the coat>>"TeamCasa" writes:

Reply to
RoyJ

There has been aluminum EMT.

It is rather famous for destruction of concrete buildings where it has been embedded in concrete.

I cannot recall if the best book on the subject is "Design and Construction Failure" or "Construction Failure" or "Why Buildings Fall Down", or one of the similar books. But one of them has a good piece on it.

Reply to
frank

There are several types of metal conduit - the most common being EMT (zinc electoplated steel in most cases, cold galvanized in others) , Rigid conduit (heavy walled steel conduit) and aluminum conduit(similar to rigid but "soft" aluminum) EMT, or Electro Metalic Tubing is connected with clamps and sleaves - it is too thin to thread. Rigid and aluminum comduits are generally threaded.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Construction

How does aluminum damage concrete?

Reply to
Shawn

Back when I was doing wiring there was a new product just comming out called IMT ( I think ) Intermediat Metalic Tubing. Is it still around? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Yes it is it takes the same threaded connectors as rigid even though it's slightly smaller in diameter.

Reply to
William