Dewalt DC500 Vacuum Doesn't Aspirate

It sucks w/o the filter in place but then speeds up and doesn't suck at all with the filter in place.

I cleaned up dirt and water in the garage once and left the debris on the filter for two months.

Today, I ran water over the filter to make it white again, but it looks somewhat opaque.

Is it possible I have permanently clogged the pores?

I haven't let the filter dry out yet. Is it possible it will pass air when it's dry and I can tap it to loosen any remaining dirt?

I checked the blue foam "final filter" right at the entry to the pump, but it's pretty clean. I washed it and blew it out gently and it looks open.

I removed the check ball that closes off the vacuum when the tank is full but that didn't help. Any suggestions? Otherwise, I am going to buy a filter on ebay for $14 + shipping.

Tnx Ted

Reply to
cauchy128

You are likely sucking up the blocking ball which is there to stop the motor from swallowing a gulp of water.

Reply to
Robatoy

Have you read the manual? I'll bet is says to remove the filter for wet operation. Yes, you've probably permanently clogged it and need a new one. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks, Art.

It's a wet/dry filter, but it seems opaque compared to say, dirty air filters I have removed from furnaces.

Will buy one on ebay and report back. Tnx. Ted

Reply to
cauchy128

When you are sucking up water, you do not need a filter. Remove the filter when conditions are wet.

Reply to
Leon