DeWalt 735 planer

I was worried about that when I bought my Unisaw but they did deliver it with a lift-gate truck. The driver was nice enough to help me up the driveway (using his hand jack) with it too. He didn't have to, YMMV, may cause abdominal bleeding...

Reply to
krw

Aw come on, that would just be like 3 slightly bigger than guys setting on your tail gate.

Reply to
Leon

The big difference here is that you are dealing with a 3rd party freight company. Your refrigerator probably was delivered from a local warehouse or store by a hot shot service or company owned vehicle.

Reply to
Leon

Jack Stein wrote: ...

Shipping isn't a retail business -- you're dealing w/ the trucking company, not a merchant.

They have the offload service (well, at least some do) but it is an extra-charge service.

Grizzly has good reputation for using trucking companies that are more home-delivery-friendly than some of the major lines that really are only set up for offloading at terminal facilities.

Again, you simply have to be sure when dealing w/ such shipments to get delivery by the level of service you require. As others have noted it's not unheard of for driver to help beyond what is actually required to do but that's a result you can't rely on; you've got to be able to take delivery based on the specifics of what you request/pay for. If you need lift gate be sure they vendor knows it to use the proper shipper.

Again, since Griz sells a lot to homeowners who don't have the facilities they have good contacts for the situation; just have to be particularly careful if dealing w/ outfits that normally don't serve the market.

--

Reply to
dpb

I have a truck but still no easy way to get 700 lbs off of it any more than their truck. Not sure I would want a $1000 machine weighing that much on my tail gate anyway.

Reply to
Jack Stein

That would make sense. Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff to consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off the truck? I have a truck and normally haul my own purchases, but I have had stuff delivered and not only did they off load it, but brought it in the house. I once had a refrigerator delivered and they took the door off of it to get it up the steps. Off the top of my head, I would think if something is "delivered" it would mean at a minimum, sitting on my property? Sitting on their truck doesn't get it. Most homes don't have a fork lift handy:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

When I've bought from Amazon and it was actually shipping by Amazon, they have always shown up with a lift gate or two guys, or both, and they bring it to the door. And that's with free shipping. Guess where I always look first?

My Jet jointer ordered through Woodcraft was delivered by Jet and there was a lift gate though I didn't pay for one, and to my shock the driver just kept on going with it on the pallet jack right up my steep driveway, and turned down my offer to help once I picked my jaw up, and I had to pick it up again. But now Woodcraft spells out delivery options with some hefty fees on Jet items, so I guess those days are over.

With my Grizzly edge sander the truck did not have a lift gate, but the driver did help getting it off. Once it was off the truck he was outta there. But the edge sander wasn't that heavy, about 250 or so.

The trucking company is always going to call you to arrange the delivery, and I strongly suspect they aren't going to show up at a residential address with a 700 lb crate without working out how it's getting off the truck ahead of time.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

When I bought my 1023S cabinet saw from Grizzly I had the shipper hold it at the trucking terminal which was only about 8 miles from the house. I had called them earlier and they were very accommodating with helping me get the carton onto my pickup at no cost. From there I used some ramps and a couple of beefy neighbors to unload it into my garage. With the wings and fence separate it was pretty easy to get off.

I believe the G0453 is still being shipped free; so local lift-gate service might not amount to a horrible shipping cost.

The G053 comes with its own, built in mobile base and I believe the one I saw in the warehouse at the Springfield was mounted on a pallet. BUT I WOULD NOT count on using the mobile base to unload it from a pickup truck unless you have several helpers. I have had to move my 450-500 pound cabinet saw a couple of times during the past year. Even with a low trailer, the bottom of the base/saw got high centered at the edge of the trailer and we had to help it along with a pry-bar. When it got past the friction-point it was "Ready to Roll!!!" Three of us controlled it but it didn't weigh 600+ pounds. If that thing tipped it could be a really bad day.

Reply to
RonB

Just took delivery of $9K + worth of 5 1/2" reclaimed pine flooring (from a tobacco shed in NC), bought directly from a retail flooring company, and had to pay both shipping, and for someone to unload it off the 18 wheeler on the construction site. It is rare that long haul drivers are equipped otherwise.

Granted, had I been in on the original negotiation, things may have been a bit different, but the client decided to act on her own ... and paid the price.

That notwithstanding, it happens more often than you think ... :(

Reply to
Swingman

My dad was known in a small town as a wiz with a forklift. He was hired out all over town often to offload verious loads. The sand and gravel company who employed him make good money off of these jobs. A common job for him was to unload the structural steel for commercial building construction.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Just had a Grizzly table saw delivered by SAIA freight. GO444, but it only weighed 291lbs. Delivery driver helped me slide it down my "home build ramp" from his truck into my truck. Then two of my neighbors helped me unload it into my shop. I didn't see any kind of lift gate or any dollies or anything to unload on the delivery truck.. I would plan no help from the delivery company. GO453...A LOT OF WEIGHT AND MONEY TO BE COUNTING ON THE DRIVER TO UNLOAD.

George (aka Bumhead)

Reply to
bumhead

I've ordered two large machines from Grizzly in the last year (the aforementioned planer and a big cyclone dust collector) and both times the freight company (SAIA -

brought a truck that had a lift gate, and the driver helped me push the containers up my driveway (on a 5-degree incline!) and into my garage. Gave the fellow a nice tip, and I expect he'll give me the same service next time I order a big machine. I can't guarantee you'll be so lucky, but as somebody else mentioned, I doubt the freight company would send a truck without at least leaving themselves a way to get the containers off the truck.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Steve Turner wrote: ...

That's a naive assumption at best unless they were notified a priori.

How much to expect is highly dependent on the carrier; fortunately the Griz is pretty hip to the fact that most of their machines don't go to commercial locations; but if the shipper uses one of the major cross-country carriers they generally only deliver to facilities that have the provisions and they'll expect the same thing wherever they're told to deliver.

Again, it's just to make sure up front what's needed is going to be provided that's important.

While there are many stories of the great assistance drivers have given, there are others where the truck didn't have lift gate/whatever and the driver isn't so amenable. On a route/truck of that type it's his job to get it to the rear of the truck and anything past that is purely a volunteer effort on his part. Just have to be prepared for it if it happens; hence the previous admonition... :)

Reply to
dpb

For the past twenty years (or more) my homes have been in residential neighborhoods, and I've had plenty of freight items delivered (woodworking and otherwise). In no case did a shipper ever send a truck that didn't have a way to get the freight unloaded, and I didn't have to call any of them ahead of time to explain that my address was in a residential neighborhood, and that I didn't own a fork lift. I've had plenty of them call *me* with that assumption already made, and to verify it was true; if I ran a shipping company I'd probably do the same to avoid wasting everybody's time. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of stories to the contrary (particularly for you guys out in the sticks), and I would never advocate "assuming" anything, except perhaps the worst case scenario already pointed out by Grizzly to the customer at the original time of purchase.

Jack asked what my experience was and I told him. The End.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I didn't say it wasn't your experience; I simply reiterated the point The Griz made to Jack that it's his responsibility and to assume his experience will be yours w/o verifying isn't 100% guaranteed...

One can hope trucking companies would do what seems obvious; my experience has not been nearly as salubrious as yours apparently has been[1] and that is highly dependent on the company.

Finis.... :) (And, again, I wasn't after you...)

[1] I've even had the experience of specifically ordering and being billed for lift gate service and the over-the-road truck showed up w/ Bubba's larger (and less bright and more belligerent) brother as the driver...fortunately, I did have the frontend loader on the tractor at the time and it was something I could handle with it instead of requiring a forklift. Given _my_ range of experiences, I'm probably excessively cautious any more... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

I appreciate all the responses on this. I'd guess the type of service you get would be different in different locales, and would also guess Grizzly is pretty good at getting things right for you, being a retail business dependent on retail on-line and mail orders rather than in store sales. If I go this route, I'll make certain delivery arrangements are somehow made clear ahead of time. Never dealt with Grizzly before so it would be a new experience for me, but certainly not for Griz.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Jack,

I was thinking about ordering from Grizzly and I don't have any special loading equiptment (I would just need my order dropped off at my garage/workshop which has a short, straight, concrete driveway), so I hope you will share the results of your delivery experience.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't know where you live but the delivery of my 1023S cabinet saw was very fast. I placed the internet order one evening and about 36 hours later I got a call from the local truck depot wanting to arrange pickup. At that time we lived in Wichita, Ks which is about 250 miles from the Springfield store.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

was very fast. I placed the internet order one evening and about 36 hours later I got a call from the local truck depot wanting to arrange pickup. At that time we lived in Wichita, Ks which is about 250 miles from the Springfield store.

Ron

That's the same TS I was thinking about ordering! I may make an overnight trip to one of their showrooms (MS, I think).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oops, I mean MO (Springfield). Gotta get those state abbreviations down...

Reply to
Bill