Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

Don't recall those, but I did use Fido BBSs quite a bit. On my S100 buss CP/M boat anchor.

And yes, we used to spell it "buss" :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes, you are :-).

Just remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Or as us old bikers prefer:

You don't quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.

(I've been riding since the early '50s.)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I ran ZP/M on mine (Z-80 CPU) with memory boards that I designed and wire wrapped myself/ But that was my third micro computer.

And I had been using commercial computers for tne years by the time I got to micros.

Reply to
Robert Haar

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:hqcp9c$uhd$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Any relationship to the Bussman company, that makes fuses and other electrical distribution materials?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 17 Apr 2010 15:31:30 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

Considering that the brightest among us uses only 5-10% of his brain, methinks humanity has a ways to go yet before we start resetting ROM, except in Lew's case. (xox)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:01:19 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard scrawled the following:

Old trucker never die. They just get a new Peterbilt.

They had scoots way back then? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't think so. IIRC, it was a takeoff on "buss bar" which also seems to have dropped an "s" in the ensuing years.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I saw an article the other day that claimed that figure was untrue. Said we use most of it, but only 10% or so at a time.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've seen micro enthusiasts speel it wrong, too.

You certainly wouldn't want to kiss a bus bar.

Reply to
krw

Thank you everone! This whole chain takes me WAY back. I started working with computers back in 1968, we had an IBM 1401 and a 7070. Neither had real stored program capability. It was a huge step forward when my company finally got a

360/50....lol. I still remember "programing" unit record devices using plug boards!!

Spent some of my time in the telecommunications field and used Usenet (started as Bitnet actually). Didn't really find NetNews all that usefull until Mosaic came along and gave us a decent user interface.

Joined IBM a few years later and just retired last year. Been a woodworker for a lot of years, but my job involved a lot of travel (Computer Security) so really didn't have the time to devote to my hobby. Well,...now that I'm retired I have been able to devote much more time to it and I love it!

Working it the IT industry most of my output was intellectual but wordworking is very tangeable. You can step back and get intstant gratification from what you created. I find it VERY satisfyiing...and I'll bet many woodworkers are computer vets.

Thanks again for the memories.

Reply to
Bob

I joined IBM right out of college in '74 and retired (from IBM) at the end of '06. I ran on my "buy-out" for a while, got the house in shape to sell, then got bored (SWMBO wouldn't let me make any more messes) and went back to work. I figure I have another seven years before I really retire. By then I should have all the toys. ;-)

I've been doing electronics design pretty much since college. Design is intellectual and definitely has a tangible result. I find it quite similar, in fact, to woodworking but woodworking has the advantages of no boss, no deadlines, and no crap work. Well, there is sanding... ;-)

Reply to
krw

Raises hand. I first posted in 1984. ARPAnet connection required a Department of Defense contract. Al Gore made it possible for people without government contracts to get connected.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Bangpaths? Phssst. Those were trivial. I ran a mail hub that handled UUCP, BITNET, AND DECNET simultaneously.

Nothing like getting some email addressed like this and trying to decide where it needed to go.

BIGVAX::kremvax!user% snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Some have a FIFO, some have a LIFO, some have a WOM.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol