Concrete pigment as a woodstain?

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. I'm wondering how it would mix up in a clear wood stain base. I like the color green and patina that I can get from mixing concrete stain in a bit of water and applying to cedar but it would be great if I could just add it to wood stain clear base. Nothing the paint store has comes close and they are unsure about long term results.

Reply to
Mark Haldorson

If it can stand up well to UV light, you are good to go.

Dave

Mark Haldors> I was wondering if anyone had tried this.

Reply to
David

Concrete pigments are supposed to be the most permanent pigments of all. They face caustic cement and UV. They might be a little course for paint. I bought a can of exterior stain base so I will give it a try.

Reply to
Mark Haldorson

A coarse pigment like that won't work in a true "stain", but if it's actually more of a glaze (a coloured varnish) then it should do. Don't use too much, or you might find the finish tends to flake.

I don't know what green concrete pigment is made from. It's not as UV stable as the red or black pigments, but it's probably OK for timber.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I can highly recommend the Homestead transfast dye powders, if its color you are looking for. They are available at woodcraft.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Contact the Manufacturer.......... they may not be sure of your method, but should be able to tackle the long term. Since your suspending it in a base........ I don't think anything could do it harm, but it may be caustic or have chemical properties any one is not aware of....

Reply to
My M-14