Chisel usage

I'll bet I use and sharpen my 1" bench chisel at least twice as much as all others combined. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JP

****************************************************** Please don't make me plane that board again.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Hmmm, Curious that.

I seem to always be grabbing the 3/8 inch bench chisel. But I seem to be sharpening the block plane more than the 3/8 bench chisel. Cannot recall using the 1" chisel much. Now I wonder what I don't know, and why is the

1" the preferred tool by some. The last time I over trimmed a mortise and tenon I used a 3/4 inch, and still couldn't control the chisel to fine tune a tenon.

(Dang it, woodworking is just as bad as computers, the learning don't stop, and you can never catch up enough to start to get ahead.)

Reply to
Phil Again

With a wide chisel you can register part of the blade against a true surface, and then sort of pivot it down onto the part being trimmed.

When deepening scribe lines there are fewer passes needed to cover the width of the piece, which means less likelihood of misalignment between marks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Phil Again

Yep - that's definitely one of the reasons, I suspect. For router-cut mortises too big in radius for my corner chisel I find the larger width to be indispensable.

Yes again. I also use it as a utility knife of sorts, albeit a very (scarily?) sharp one. For example, after cutting the cope on the ends of cabinet door rails there is usually a small amount of material on the stick-edge to be sliced away. This wider chisel, held by the blade, slices it cleanly and quickly. I also trim off plugs, the occasional glue-line and slice open plastic bags full of hardware, etc. And, once (gasp!) I even used it as a mini-scraper to remove a fingerprint of glue from a workpiece. I just like find the 1" width to be easier to handle.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique