Cherry darkens in sunlight?

Last year I built a cherry chest for our bedroom. It has darkened pretty much like it should.

Today I was digging through my cutoff bin, looking for some scrap ash; the bin is in a basement corner, under a shelf. It gets no sunlight, and very little light of any kind.

I found some cutoffs from the chest that are the exact same color as the chest. Explain that.

Reply to
toller

As a result of a naturally occurring chemical reaction. All cherry needs is oxygen and time.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20 "toller" wrote in message = news:MmfAd.1209$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny... | Last year I built a cherry chest for our bedroom. It has darkened = pretty=20 | much like it should. |=20 | Today I was digging through my cutoff bin, looking for some scrap ash; = the=20 | bin is in a basement corner, under a shelf. It gets no sunlight, and = very=20 | little light of any kind. |=20 | I found some cutoffs from the chest that are the exact same color as = the=20 | chest. Explain that.=20 |=20 |

Reply to
PDQ

No need to explain if you'd studied wood. Aging is merely accelerated by high-energy UV, not cause by it, and can be accomplished by using a chemical reaction - e.g. lye - to do the same.

After a period of time you'll end up with deep aging, where the inside of the board has pretty much the same color as the surface. Takes ten/twelve years, but I've got some #1 common I bought 20 years ago for $250 MBF that's red through and through. Works a bit more brittle, though.

Reply to
George

Explanation: scrap bin not air tight.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
calerner

...(wrt to cherry)...

It's all of those and more... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I will look forward to your results. People say it is light, it is air, it is magic...

Reply to
toller

(Cue Twilight Zone theme...)

Reply to
Bob Schmall

"toller" wrote in news:y_gAd.1228$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Cherry is magic itself. And working with good cherry for furniture is so much better than many other common woods that it's almost like cheating.

Patriarch, a Californian who pays a premium when he buys cherry...

Reply to
Patriarch

Think of it as rust.

Reply to