Chalk line advice?

I'm a second year apprentice carpenter, with most of my experience in residential framing. As such, I used a chalk line quite often. Now that I'm more involved in renovation, I still find uses for my chalk line, but I'm finding I can't overlook a couple of problems which simply didn't matter when I was working outdoors.
First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of the reel.
Although I realise this may not be the best group to approach for a sort of "rough carpentry" kind of question, I think there is a reservoir of experience and wisdom . . . well, blatant flattery sometimes works!
The reel is a Tajima, and works well in all respects: I really like the smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is likely to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague, but I'm more than open to recommendations, even to the point of cleaning the existing stuff out of the reel as well as I can.
Cheers, Colin

Too much chalk in the tool -- it's overfilled. Dump about half of it out.
Or simply switch to a laser level. Bosch makes some nice ones.
On 11/17/16 9:46 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Son of a gun! I'm going to try that, tomorrow.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/17/2016 6:59 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:

Just a guess on my part, having used chalk lines both for exterior work and interior, is that you simply have too much chalk in the reel. I have noticed that when I'm too lazy to reel it in before the next line is snapped, there's still plenty of chalk available.
Try emptying the reel out completely and then pull out all of the line, and snap it a couple of times, and finish up shaking the remainder out of the reel and then reel it back in while running the line through an old t-shirt to get as much of the chalk off of it.
Now - here's where I'm really guessing on how to proceed: Either pull the line all the way out again and place just a small amount of chalk in the reel before you reel it back in OR leave the line reeled in and place just a small amount of chalk in there and see how it works after a couple of line snaps.
My thought is that you're probably better off trying to recharge the reel with chalk with the line fully extended and THEN reeling it in, but, as I said, I'm just guessing on that.
What I'm not guessing at is that you simply have too much chalk coming out.
On 2016-11-17 5:59 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:

Could be worse, a carpenter friend pissed of a co-worker who filled his chalk line with a really really fine glitter.....
--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky

That is hysterical. Good thing I wasn't drinking cofffee when I read that.

[...]

[...]

ROTFLMAO!
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:59:51 -0000 (UTC)

CAST.....STRIKE.......REEL 'EM IN, AGAIN!!!
... .. ... . ... . .. /|~~ .. . .. . , / |~~ ... . .. /| / | .. / |~~ | ,~~~~ / |~~ | /|~~~~ ~ / | | / | |\ () / | | / | | \/||\ / | | / | | \/\ / | |/ | | =====_______/ | |=====| __ | \ ========|====| / \ |__) | 'V` _\o_o_o_o_o_o_o_o_o_o_o_o__) | \ -- SS LARRY BLANCHARD -- / | \ ----------- - --- ---- |} ~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | | | ! J _/o ~~\_)\~~~ \^^\) <---- wRec gullible on the "\ ( hook AGAIN! (__\
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:59:51 -0000 (UTC)

try different chalk or use a straight edge and grease pencil
have noticed that they have managed to sell inferior chalk
tried some neon orange stuff and noticed right away that it did not give a crisp line like the old red did and i saw more powder in the air
maybe the chalk is ground too fine or some other bad idea is applied
who knows really what the stuff is
i doubt there is any regulatory scrutiny over chalk suppliers
it is porbably made from industrial waste byproducts by drying in ovens
lot cheaper than disposing of toxic waste

Straight edge and grease pencil won't help snap a 20' line on the foundation wall for the sill plate.

You have? Who are "they", and by what measure is the chalk inferior?

And your vast experience with chalklines is what, exactly?

Or maybe it's user error?

I'm sure the manufacturer is quite aware of the composition of the chalk.

I'm sure that your doubts are completely unfounded.

"porbably"?
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 12:46:14 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

It will if you have a 20' straight edge. Don't we all?
(I keep mine in an 8 x 10 shed.)
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 9:57:14 AM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If your shed is more than 15.37 feet high, it'll fit without disassembly. Otherwise, it's gotta be a virtual straight edge made of photons, and hard to read in sunlight.
For cutting plywood, I made a ~10' straight track to guide a skilsaw, joining two plywood segments with a pegged splice board, and (using a tablesaw) ripped one edge to a straight line. It took a few tries, though, and the resulting track hangs from a peg so it won't twist in storage. The photonic ones, I've gotta remember to yank the batteries when they go back on the shelf.

Um, you just described a laser line. Nothing virtual about it, costs $20 at Lowes/Home Depot. Fits just fine in an 8x10 shed.
John
On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 9:39:38 AM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

My biggest issue with Laser Levels, at least the hand held consumer grade type, is that they are next to impossible to level in the first place.
Take a look at the bubble in the level on this Bosch "professional" laser level. The bubble is so much shorter than the area between the lines, you have to visually center it. You would need a seriously calibrated eyeball in order to center the bubble such the laser level was even close to accurate at 20'.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/7b/7b9ed2b8-6f70-4c2d-b388-2b00f96a91a8_1000.jpg
Based on my experience, the short bubble is typical and has been ever since they (and not just Bosch) introduced hand held laser levels to the consumer market.
In the rare times that I've used that type of laser level, I've used a good quality 24" level to level the level.
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:57:14 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1. Everyone should have a 20' foldup straight edge, to complement their 20' foldup ruler.
Sonny
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 7:47:24 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

I found it easier to keep my 20' straight edge solid. When I need to get it out of the 8 x10 shed I build an addition with door on the far end and it comes right out.

I have an 8' extruded one that splits in half. Festool tracks can be connected in a very similar fashion.
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 10:29:34 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

I do too...and it really is in the shed. :-)
On 12/5/2016 6:47 PM, Sonny wrote:

Yep, another one of those tools that you don't need often, but ...
;0>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net