BORG birch plywood is CRAPOLA

Bought some 3/4" birch plywood from HD to make a new router table. The birch veneer is lifting and chipping away at the crosscuts. Should have been suspicious by the "Made In China" label on the plywood.
Tom
Didn't look while you were there? Might even have taken the time to check the grade stamp to verify suitability.
Mine's MDO with a shellac slide.

Well, yeah, you should have. The funny thing is that the hardwood dealer five minutes from my house has 3/4 plywood that's made in *Canada*, of much higher quality than the crap at Home Depot, for two bucks a sheet *less*.

And now that you've publicized it there will be yet another claim filed against our industry by US business interests, this time claiming that we're dumping our plywood and calling for a 30% tariff.
Thanks a *LOT*, Doug!
;-)
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

Got some very nice 1/2" Canadian Birch Ply from the Orange Borg last year, but the 3/4 stuff is made elsewhere.

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message wrote:

I would suspect as well, that this is not Baltic Birch? Baltic is much more stable etc... than the typical "Birch" ply and comes in 5x5 sheets (1200mm x 1200mm).
Every once in a while he Borg will get in some Maple/Birch stuff that is cheaper than their other but of better quality. they never advertise it, though. It just shows up once or twice a year outa the blue.

I made a work bench for my wife's store today. I used HD 3/4 sandply plywood. I've never seen a sandply tree and I don't know where they grow. This stuff serves it purpose. Both sides are smooth and clean and the sheet lays flat. There were voids in the interior but no big ones in this sheet. It cost $5 more than regular BC plywood and $5 less than the 3/4 birch. Home Depot is the Harbor Freight of material supliers. They sell cheap and convenient.

Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Virola is the typical wood used in that plywood.
http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/products/import/product.php?pid74
RKP51X wrote:

Tom, their oak plywood is also prone to chipping. I use a Freud 10" 80 tooth blade in my tablesaw.Set the blade for 1/8" or less and make a scoring cut with the good side up. Then make the full cut. I eliminated any chipout this way.
mike