Bandsaw Help

I do not have the room for a full size bandsaw in my garage.So im in need of a benchtop model.Im not doing resawing or anything heavy duty.I don't want a cheaply made one.If anyone has a recomendation I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
tony

Buy at least a 12" and a mobile base. The benchtop models are not very good and are cheaply made. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tony, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what do you hope to do with a bandsaw, if you have such limited space? You might be able to get by with a good jigsaw that would have a lot more quality than the benchtop junk that's out there. I'd sure look hard at getting a decent saw on a mobile stand and placed in the corner. I'd even consider investing in a top quality one and making it my only stationary saw.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

there have been a few stoutly built small bandsaws. inca made one, IIRC.

problem is, these machines are rare and folks as have one are reluctant to part with them....

Reply to
Bridger

I have two bandsaws. One of them might be what you are looking for although it is a bit bigger than you indicate. It is a Jet 12" bandsaw. It is a very nice saw. I do resawing with my 18" but everything else I do with my

12". It is an inexpensive saw that doesn't take up much space although more than a benchtop.

Check it out.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Y'know, I never bought "benchtop" tools, because they were low in capacity, power, weight and durability. Then I started looking at what I had come to over the years, and I realized that all my "stationary" tools were sitting on "benches" of my own making. Most stands, being filled with empty air, and lacking wheels, had been replaced by castered cabinets where I store my really portable tools like routers and saws so that I could continue collecting newer tools without throwing anything away which I would need two days later. I had benchtops without knowing it. Only thing I couldn't - or didn't, in any case - do was store one under the other. Which is a good thing, considering my back.

Look at the open stand JET or Delta 14s. Same working parts as the tin cabinet, and dirt easy to build into a cabinet holding four or five tools, on wheels, and using mostly useless space above the waist, anyway.

Rob, you've said what I said a few bandsaw threads ago. More than 90% of bandsaw work is within the capabilities of the unmodified 14" saw.

Reply to
George

About 20 years ago when I didn't know as much as I do now (which still isn't much...), I bought a benchtop bandsaw. It was a Craftsman and has served me reasonable well over the years. I built a stand for it so it's at a nice working height and I don't have to use precious benchtop space. Yes, I know basically what I have is a bandsaw taking up as much space as a regular bandsaw, but I only get the capacity of a baby one. The hundreds of dollars I saved were put to better use at the time though. I obviously don't do resawing as it only has about 4" capacity under the guides. However, for making an occasional curvy cut which is going to be sanded it works fine. I don't know if it fits your definition of not being cheaply made since that's a relative statement, but I've been "satisfied" with it. Trying to cut a

2x4 on either dimension is a challenge for it. The power is actually not the biggest problem, but I think the problem is you can't tension the blades enough and you end up with a wavy cut. For a 3/4" board it works great. I've been longing for something bigger for a while (and just bought a 14" JET at auction last night), but the benchtop served most of my needs until recently.
Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

P.S. At least one of the name brand WW mags (Wood I think) had an article on building a stand with a removable top so you could use the stand and move a benchtop tool onto it as needed. If I remember correctly, you could store a couple of tools under the stand and have one on top. Seemed like a useful stand if your space is limited and you have a couple of benchtop tools. Now that I think about it I've also seen one version with a fliptop that rotates on a couple of metal rods so you can have one tool on top ready for use and another tool underneath. To switch tools you just rotate the top.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

If yours is gray color and three-wheel, it was made by King Seeley. I have one of those. I have been able to get it tensioned quite nicely although I did have your problem when I just didn't tension it enough. One thing is that the tires look quite new and not worn. I'd suppose if they were, it could cause the tension problem since with mine as I've said the tires look nearly new and I've got the tension about as far as it will go.

Reply to
Jim Polaski