Back cutting shoulders of tenons

I'm thinking about springing for a Domino and was brainstorming about how to back cut the shoulders of what would normally be the fixed tenon. I'm not opposed to hand work, but I'm wondering if there isn't some way to really speed up the process. The most promising thought I've had so far is a custom router bit that uses the mortise itself as a guide for a tiny bearing or pin on the end of it. The cutter itself would shave ~1/32" off the surrounding shoulder(s?), and have a cutting radius of appropriate size for the joint at hand. Then I could stand my workpiece (let's assume it's a rail) on end, maybe with a stabilizing colllar to hold it square to the table, place it over the pin/bearing, and then jack the router up by a 32nd and move the rail around the pin to fully back cut the shoulder.

Just a thought.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Cut the whole thing with a router. See examples:

shoulders of these (tenons) are all in the same plane. You need a platform jig and some semi-special rabbet cutters to do it, no heroics.

*************************

Reply to
pat

Are those shoulders slightly back-beveled? What's a platform jig and what special cutters do you need? Do you sell these? I've got a couple of your products and have been very satisfied.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

on end, maybe with