Yet another shower question

I've a downstairs shower in a room with a gravity-fed hot and mains cold. The electric shower has given up the ghost, and I always thought that the only alternative was a venturi; but I see that Screwfix have what they call a "Pressure Balancing Mixer Shower" (see

for the Screwfix page) which can handle pressures from 0.5 to 5 bar (main here is about 2.5-3). Would that be appropriate for this shower, and what performance can I expect? I should say that I'd like a shower which can provide pure cold at reasonable pressure as well as a hot shower (at present I have the former only:-).

Grateful for advice.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

My guess would be that with that shower you get the lowest common denominator i.e. it reduces the higher pressure to that of the lower. So not that useful for your situation.

If your hot pipework is up to it (i.e. 22mm right through from tank to shower, and not too tortuous a route), go for a venturi. It's the one that *will* give you a decent shower from low-pressure stored hot water.

Otherwise go for pumped.

Reply to
dom

I'd avoid the venturi not least as it means a lot of pipework changes. The stored hot water has to be at least 60c to get a useable shower. At least it did on the one I used a few years ago. Electric showers are cheap. Homebase have a 15% weekend on and I've seen branded makes there as well as their own brand.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling