WTB: Large Rainwater storage tank.

Hi,

Probable local hosepipe bans have got me thinking about upgrading our

75litre plastic water butt to something a bit more serious.

Can anybody recommend a source of inexpensive high volume (1500 litre plus) tanks that would suit? Everything I have found on the web is "industrial" with a price to match.

I'm sure a s/h heating oil tank would work, or I could fabricate something out of timber and a pond liner. Any other suggestions?

david

Reply to
Vortex

I've been thinking about stringing several water butts together. I've had one for several years, and it supplies all my outdoor water use (car washing, some garden watering, washing down facia boards, etc). I was watering my front lawn yesterday via a hose from the water butt. I'm sure several passers-by must have thought selfish bastard or similar, as the water butt isn't visible and they probably thought I was using mains water.

I would be interested in any recommendations for pumps to generate a bit of pressure behind the hose. I use a pressure washer, but flow isn't great and you have to be careful or you'll find all your newly seeded grass plastered down the front wall of the house across the road. I tried a washing machine drain pump, and the flow's good, but there's no pressure -- stick your thumb over the end of the hose to get a bit of spray and the flow completely stops, as it does with anything other than a short hose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have you tried an old c/h pump - or even a new one for 30 quid?

Reply to
Slurp

We store our well water in a 5000l plastic tank. This came from an agricultural supplier, and cost around £350. You can get them down to 2000l.

Reply to
Grunff

I can highly recommend one of these:

Or maybe one of their smaller ones - that one is quite a beast. Pick pressure and flow rate to suit.

Reply to
Grunff

You see 1000 litre bulk liquid storage tanks on E-bay occasionally.

's probably a drum trader near you who'd buy them from the users to resell. Look in Yellow pages. A CH pump wouldn't be suitable, inadequate flow and pressure. A 2nd hand shower pump would be better or buy a new pump from Grundfos.

Reply to
Aidan

Something like that should do nicely. Also see the Grundfos range; their JP, MQ or GP pumps would do, probably cost more than Machine Mart. I got a new JP for =A325 from E-Bay.

Aidan

Dig a big hole, line it with concrete, coat it with bitumen and put a lid on it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

if youve got free access to wash mc pumps, put a few in series.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Try

David Lang

It's not worth it. They are 2-3 pounds from

Ian Stirling

If you've got the space, you could dig a pond.

45 degree sides, 3 meter diameter, and that's about it.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ebay Home > Buy > Business, Office & Industrial > Agriculture/ Farming > Search Results for 'tank'

Ebay have 1000 litre tanks for £40 and a few for even less. Seller bike-4-u says he has 600 available so you might get a quantity discount.

(No experience of or connection with any of the sellers)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ditto. Just had a look, though. EBay item no. 7529848142

Reply to
PC Paul