WTB grey melamine faced chipboard / contiboard

I have a grey office desk and filing cabinet. I would like to make some matching shelves and cupboards. I have bought odd lengths of grey melamine faced chipboard or contiboard from places like B&Q in the past but in the last couple of years I have only seen this stuff in white or wood veneer finish. Does anyone know where it can be obtained, or think of an alternative way round the problem? (I suppose I could use ordinary wood and paint it grey but it wouldn't look the same.)

Reply to
tech-pro.net

Try the manufacturers, and find out which distributor has taken stock of the colour you are after.

Try Egger decors here

for a start, as their MFC is good quality compared to most and they have a more extensive range of uni-colours than most.

Reply to
Bolted

If you do end up painting it, definitely go for colour matched spray paint rather than brush. And a light sanding of the melamine to improve adhesion.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks. That looks interesting. But perhaps I don't understand the site, when I search for light grey Eurodekor MFC which I presume is the stuff I'm after, the only size that comes up is 2800 x 2070. Having to individually cut narrower widths and then apply edging from sheets that size is going to make the job a lot more difficult. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. I have asked them to advise a local retailer, anyway.

Reply to
jm

The manufacturers just sell full sheets (that's a jumbo sheet, standard for MFC, although they get bigger than that), or rather packs of full sheets. Btw Egger (and most others) will send you samples to check the colour if you call them.

You could find someone like this

who can cut and edgeband the sheets if that is what you are after. Not a recommendation, as I've never used them and have no idea what they (or their prices) are like.

Otherwise, if you don't have the tools, you'll need to find a timber merchant with a cutting service who can order a sheet or two in and cut it for you. They should be able to get hold of a roll of edgebanding for you (or call someone like Ney), and contact adhesive would probably do an OK job of sticking it. You'll need something to trim it with (a sharp block plane and a scraper would do it).

Reply to
Bolted