Worktop upstand problem

I have been building components for my office/workshop.

They are being assembled now.

I am only taking one step back for two forward, so an improvement.

I didn't fancy buying 3M of oak worktop and then having to cut into it so I ordered a top from Worktop Express after using their design tool.

Pretty good but only one niggle. The onscreen picture has the word "Front" beneath it but there is no "Back". On enquiry they call the back "top". (?)

Anyway. I need upstands on two sides to stop tools or pencils roll into inaccessible places.

Problem. The worktop comes pre-oiled so inhibiting adhesive.

If I was any good and well-equipped I suppose I could drill through from beneath and screw into the upstands.

But I am not.

Anyway I am in my 80s so manipulating 3m etres x 27mm x 635mm of solid oak couold be lethal! :)

Can somebody throw me a lifeline.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Top of the head suggestions: Double-sided foam tape? Careful sanding and adhesive of choice? Put the up-stand slightly inset so there's room behind it to add support blocks? Route (or use a track saw) a rebate to sit the up-stand in? Dowels and adhesive? Drill a hole vertically through the up-stand, screw downwards into the worktop and plug the hole?

Reply to
nothanks

Pretty ugly and unlikely to adhere to oiled oak.

The upstands are 80mm high and 18mm thick. I don't have a precision drill stand for something of those dimensions.

Even uglier and a waste of user space

I have a track saw. My record for precision cuts is mediocre.

My preferred choice.

I have been dowling and gluing for weeks but not into solid oak. Time to seek help from my friendly carpenter.

Thanks for your reply. It stirred the sluggish grey matter.

Regards, Alan

Reply to
pinnerite