Working at heights - regulations

This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

Chris B

They probably used to call those ladder "cripples" for a reason!

AIUI you can still use such things, but they must have guard rails. e.g

Also not clear from the photo if what they are standing on is actually platform or just another ladder.

Reply to
John Rumm

When my mother had her soffits and gutters replaced a couple of years back the same type of arrangement was used.

Do you need a hard hat it you are the one at the top dropping items on to the people below?

On a related issue I watched some crap BBC lifestyle/DIY program the other morning and everything they did included a warning about wearing a full filtered mask, safety googles and gloves including putting up an on-screen warnings where they were showing clips from decades ago when no such equipment was seen.

Reply to
alan_m

And it's primarily employers who have to watch such things. AFAIK there's no law against individuals choosing to work as in the photo so long as they're not putting others at risk. But the self-employed might have to worry about their insurance. And I'd worry about the Mental Health Act ;)

Reply to
Robin

My OCD is worrying about the homeowners insurance ...

Liability of homeowners to contractors

Adrian Caspersz

It would be interesting to see their risk assessment.

Reply to
jon

I don't see anything there to worry about. The only case where the homeowner was held liable involved him not just providing the ladder but setting it up "in the A position", short of the roof, and unsecured.

Reply to
Robin

I worked at heights all my life. I absolutely definitely wouldn't ever have done anything like that. There's too much to go wrong. Too many possibilities of equipment failure or operator error.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Fred died of cancer, not falling off a chimney !

Reply to
Andrew

The lad on the left is on his phone:-)

We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

Reply to
ARW

using a phone generally

or up top of a ladder?

Reply to
tim...

Maybe he's phoning the HSE.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in the cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Because it weakens the concrete/mortar mix.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Isn't cement delivered pre-mixed in big tubs to many larger developments these days ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Probably risks a visit from his mummy!

Reply to
John Rumm

It also looks as if they have blocked their exit with a pile of bricks.

Reply to
alan_m

Cement usually comes bags.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

On 26/02/2021 12:30, alan_m wrote: ...

Which is probably how people discovered that they should have used them. :-)

Reply to
nightjar

I'm sure Adam could cope :-)

Reply to
newshound

Sorry I meant ready-mixed mortar for brick laying, like this stuff -

Andrew