Worcester Heatslave boiler problem - info wanted.

I've recently moved into a 1982 flat which has (the original?) Worcester Heatslave 2+ gas boiler for hot water and central heating. I'm used to my old house which had a gas boiler downstairs, a hot tank upstairs and a plentiful supply of hot water so long as the boiler was on, even on minimum.

I guess the Heatslave works differently, that it has no hot water tank (or not much of one) and tries to provide hot water on demand. It has been checked (I've been told) annually, and a CO tester shows there's no problem in that regard. Hot tap water is more than sufficient.

The problem is that is can't provide a bathful of hot water. Even if I run the hot tap slowly I get less than half a full bath before the supply goes cold. The water starts near boiling, but gradually cools to cold even though the boiler is fired up.

What do I need to know, how can I find out about it, and can this be fixed? I assume the most I can d-i-y is just to check that everything outside the boiler is okay, but it will help to know what the problem might be. I don't want to replace it if I don't have to, but half full half cold baths are beginning to annoy me...

Many thanks!

-------------------------------------------------- To email go to my address and take out the dog ...

Reply to
JimGC

Is the boiler flame full on when the water starts to go cool? Or has it reduced?

Is it any different if the central heating is turned off?

Reply to
John

I'll figure out how to get the front cover off (lever it off or swing open I imagine) and try in the morning. It's almost midnight and I have a feeling if I try now I'll probably upset the neighbours ;-)

No.

Cheers, Jim

-------------------------------------------------- To email go to my address and take out the dog ...

Reply to
JimGC

Well, tried to find out if the burner is full on after a few seconds, but I can't even see a way to take off the front cover of the boiler! It's fitted under a work top and the control surface has 4 crosshead screws but the body of the boiler is covered by a panel with no obvious means of moving (seems pretty solid). Probably missing the blindingly obvious - can anyone help?

-------------------------------------------------- To email go to my address and take out the dog ...

Reply to
JimGC

IIRC it has a couple of spring clip push together fastenings at the bottom of the front panel and the top is hooked over a lip. Pulling outwards (towards you) at the bottom will cause the panel to release then lifting it off the "hook" releases it entirely. There may be variants on this depending on age.

Reply to
John

Thanks John. I'll give it a try a bit later and come back here. I'm now pretty sure the boiler is ancient, c. 1982! as I've discovered that this is when these flats were converted. I also noticed that one of the other flats had an identical boiler replaced only last summer (so it lasted that long).

I've checked the price of a new one (around £1K+ fitting) and I can imagine the flat owner's face if I insist on a new boiler! Still, I imagine that even a 23 year old boiler might be fixed (?) It gets an annual safety check I'm told and I've used a CO detector and it shows no problems. I'm hoping it might be nothing more than a cut-out switch or thermostat that needs to be replaced. The owner is happy with me as a tenant and would, I'm sure, be willing to have that kind of thing fixed.