Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler question

I'l say it in caber. och, ne, the noo.

A likely story indeed. Your house could take the whole street down.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The old one was a Potterton Neataheat. Lasted very well indeed. Just one igniter replacement in 30+ years.

Don't have to look at the exhaust to see the difference. No time switch, hot water cylinder or CLICK . . . .WOOFF! from the new one. Just a few faint clicks and eerie whirrs - almost instant hot water - very hot - and gas bills cut by about a third.

It's an excellent piece of engineering too. I've read the technical manual. A flash boiler but a hell of a long way from those rotten old Ascot things that poisoned you with Carbon Monoxide!

Thanks for your comments. Most valuable.

Nemo

Reply to
nemo

Agreed. I've just had my first bill since it was installed and it's 1/3 down - and, because it's more convenient now, I've been using a lot more hot water than before.

The model number is ZWB 7-25. At least I think that's it. There are some other numbers but the label is partially obscured.

I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

It's not hugely important because the pressure backs up enough to give a good blast from the shower, and I prefer not to get into the bath fully after slipping and rupturing my spleen a couple of years ago! I have a nice shower seat that Social Services gave me so that I don't do a repeat performance!

Another thing. At first, we were shown taps with dome-shaped thermostatic control units for the shower. Another thing we didn't actually get. I've not been able to spot anything similar on the web. Does anyone know what model these might be and the manufacturer. The taps they've given us are ¼ turn from off to full on and a bit difficult to set and I wouldn't mind splashing out (pun intended) on one of these controllers myself.

Nemo

As I said, the thing was dome-shaped, and had a slider along the front edge to regulate the temperature.

Reply to
nemo

Still better than when I was a kid in Sandwich Street Kings Cross. We had a tin bath hanging in the back yard which came indoors about once a month. My parents then put the kettle and all the saucepans we had on the kitchen range, stoked it up, and we all took turns in the same water!! Fortunately, I always got first go!

How standards change. If anyone had said in those days that in 40 odd years time advertisers would have managed to con and shame men into wearing perfume by calling it after shave and deodorant, they'd have been laughed out of court!

Nemo

Reply to
nemo

Is this the flow at the bath hot tap? In which case you have a fault. The boiler in question can supply many times that figure. I don't know which model you have (it should be something like HE30, or HE35 Plus), but they should all be capable of around 10 litres per minute or more at around 40C (45C in summer).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It's a combi. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well spotted 10/10. Yes it is a combi. Duh.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You obviously lack familiarity - they are not _that_ bad.

The OP may have meant 2 gals/ minute = 9 litre/min which given he says it's hot is fine.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You missed the smiley, Ed. ;-)

His first post complained about the time to fill a bath - so it's reasonable to assume this was his first experience of a combi.

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a combi just won't fill a bath as fast as a decent storage system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a

Obvious typo fixed ;-)

Reply to
Bob

He has never seen one.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I told you he has never seen one. The Alpha CD50 fills a bath as fast as any cylinder system. Ideal, Potterton, Eco-Hometec, Viessmann, etc fills baths within a couple of minutes.

I wonder how he is getting on with his electric cabers?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Amazing! Here is man who has to be told blow by blow how to flush out rads and now knows all about water heating. Amazing!

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You'll be telling us next; that you remember when only sailors had tattoos and only girls wore earrings!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

This will be your idea of a bath - just big enough for a PORG and 'filled' to about 6" worth of tepid water?

Have you ever seen a bath? Or had one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DIY gas is illegal! Gas Act 1969! Although I don't see how short-legged little dogs could do any better.

Reply to
nemo

I didn't know any sailors, ducky, but I do understand from the ghost of the highly steamed Mr. Spike Milligan, that nowadays they have Government Health Warnings printed on the tails of their shirts. It's more humane than tattooing it in the operative location!

And I do remember that the only fast food chains we had were Lyons, based on the NAAFI, or as we called them, Lyonziz - beans on toast and a cuppa tea for a shillin (5p)! - and Black and While Milk Bars. Art Deco and full of spotty teenagers before they were even called that.

And don't forget steaming gins, trams, trolleybuses, getting engulfed in steam from goods trains when standing on the gratings in the middle of Euston Road, blood and custard BR Scammel artics, small 3-wheeled Scammel vans - there were hundreds of those about - bicycles with small engines inside the back wheel or atop the front, listening to The Goon Show on the Home Service on a Ferguson valve wireless on top of the meat-safe in the kitchen, British motorbikes that sounded like motorbikes instead of sewing machines, . . . . . the end is listless!

Reply to
nemo

Thanks. I'll forward this to the Council's Idiot-In-Charge!

Reply to
nemo

Nope. 2 litres - and yes - it is a dribble.

Reply to
nemo