Woodworm

There are several outbreaks of woodworm in the garage rafters, shelves and workbench. Space far too valuable for a car so it's full of cr*p much too good to throw away but a real pain to move.

Another outbreak under the bath (in the bathroom!).

I used to be able to get long lasting flying insect killers, a sort of yellow plastic 6''x3'' which you hung up and which I have used successfully to eradicate woodworm. Are they or similar still available & if so where?

The alternative is to spray but Screwfix doesn't have a cheap pump up sprayer. What is the best liquid?

Anyone got any recommendations/experiences?

Thanks.

Tres.

Reply to
hes4tres

There are several outbreaks of woodworm in the garage rafters, shelves and workbench. Space far too valuable for a car so it's full of cr*p much too good to throw away but a real pain to move.

Another outbreak under the bath (in the bathroom!).

I used to be able to get long lasting flying insect killers, a sort of yellow plastic 6''x3'' which you hung up and which I have used successfully to eradicate woodworm. Are they or similar still available & if so where?

The alternative is to spray but Screwfix doesn't have a cheap pump up sprayer. What is the best liquid?

Anyone got any recommendations/experiences?

Thanks.

Tres.

Reply to
hes4tres

I used a 'proper woodworm treatment fluid' which I sprayed on with a half gallon garden spray. The type that you pump up. The nozzle and control valve are on the end of a polythene tube. The other end of the tube attaches to the plastic bottle which you pressurise buy pumping it up. There was a tendency for the nozzle to get bunged up, but I got the job done.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

In article , hes4tres writes

Despite what the wood treatment industry tell you woodworm are forest floor animals, and are only likely to be in the sap wood unless you have somehow managed to raise the humidity and lower the ventilation to the extent that they think the rafters are a forest floor. Remove the source of the damp, increase the ventilation, and the things will go away - they can't live in dry wood. They don't fly very well, and don't breed too well in a warm dry place.

I'm not a great fan of spraying toxic chemicals around in the home (or garage) most insecticides are only a gnats whisker from nerve gases anyway, and the emulsifiers and wetting agents are often nastier than the active ingredients.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

In the old days, they used to get a bit of ash, its a type of wood the woodworm fly prefers, cause its easier to work. They stuck it in the house, the woodworm fly did the dirty dead with the ash, and every year the human burt it and replaced it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper