Wooden Floors across different subfloors

The subject of laying wooden floors has appeared numerous times in he group with some excellent advice.

Please help......

We would like to install solid oak floor in our kitchen / diner that has just been knocked through. The dining room is the original (1900's) wooden board subfloor. The kitchen subfloor is 80% (5m Sq) concrete and 20% (1.25 m Sq) wooden board.

I have been advised not to glue across different subfloors and will therefore attempt to nail or float. I have been advised to lay 18mm ply across the entire floor.

However, despite trying to level the concrete floor once already, it is still in a bad way, I have variations of up to 5/6mm (it is better than it was!!). I dont think this is level enough if covered with ply for either float or nail! Can I get round the variation by laying battens and pack out the hollows? Is 15mm (suggested in another post) batons thick enough to nail? Junckers technical info suggest a minimum of 38mm plus packing - this is too high!! Is this something I can do myself! I am running over budget and cannot afford to pay for the installation.

Finally.... do I need underlay? Beneath battens or play (if I manage to level the concrete enough) If so what type?

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Simon

Reply to
sg

Have you tried self levelling compound? If so, did you realise that it doesn't actually self level and you need to give it a helping hand?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to press this button."

(John Brunner, "Stand on Zanzibar")

Reply to
Huge

"Huge" wrote | "Christian McArdle" writes: | >Have you tried self levelling compound? If so, did you realise that | >it doesn't actually self level and you need to give it a helping hand? | "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to press this button." | (John Brunner, "Stand on Zanzibar")

If this washing machine is automatic, why are my dirty clothes still on the bedroom floor?

Owain

Reply to
Owain