wiring zones

Putting the final back boxes upstairs, my question is if I have a socket on the wall where the door is, is the zone continued after the door? or do I need to put a socket on the other side of the door for continuation of the zone?. I dont really want one on't other side of the door.

Reply to
Staffbull

On 24 Sep 2006 06:54:38 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull" wrote this:-

Not if on the other side of the door is a different room.

Reply to
David Hansen

What for a horizontal cable run?

I would say no. Since if you were to look at the fininshed result you would see no logical reason for there to be a wire there.

In some cases (i.e. when the wall is less than 100mm thick), the zone

*does* extend to the reverse side of the wall if the position can be easily determined due to a door way for example.
Reply to
John Rumm

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:07:04 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm wrote this:-

I have lost track of just what work the OP is doing and what sort of zone he is talking about.

Reply to
David Hansen

I want a socket one side of the door but not the other, and then a socket on the next wall. does the zone continue after the door opening or is it broken by the opening

Reply to
Staffbull

On 25 Sep 2006 01:56:49 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull" wrote this:-

Cables in those zones run in straight lines between visible fittings. How would a cable running horizontally get round the door?

Reply to
David Hansen

be easier for me to bring the cable up agian after going down into the joist space to "get around" the door and come back on the other side of the door than bring it up un the next wall.

Probably makes no sense at all !!, it would save some hassle if it's do able but sense says the zone ends at the doorway edge

Reply to
Staffbull

On 25 Sep 2006 05:40:06 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull" wrote this:-

No problem. As the cable will not be in an acceptable zone you need to protect it properly, as outlined in the Wiring Regulations.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

No reason why you couldn't have an otherwise unnecessary socket on the other side of the door. That will give you a vertical run to the ceiling and a horizontal run to the next wall. And you never know, you might find the extra socket useful in the future.

Reply to
Roger

True! it's looking like a socket fest up there though seven doubles in one bedroom !! mind you it is 5 X 4m so fairly large

Reply to
Staffbull

That size room should have at least 6 doubles anyway. It is always best to make sure that there is at least 1 on each wall and one either side of any door, so that extension leads don't get trailed across the doorway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle