Wireless Networking Conundrum

"cantenna"

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ever heard of 802.11a?

Encryption.

Reply to
dennis

Buy a cheap switch and run one cable from there to a wireless bridge. Mount the wireless bridge in a water proof plastic box on the wall outside. If needed do the same with an access point at the other (router) end.

HTH.

Reply to
dennis

Why does it always ring when in full motion in the loo. You'd think they had a camera in there!

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com saying something like:

In the whole spirit of DIY...

Grimly Curmudgeon

On 19 Aug 2006 10:35:59 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote this:-

Presumably the radio network works fine throughout the house.

Is it important that the servers are always accessible, or are they just for leisure purposes? A bodge that might be acceptable for leisure purposes is probably not going to be acceptable if the servers must be relied on.

If there is a weak signal then there are probably two things that one can say about it:

1) it will be subject to transmission errors. 2) speed will be low in an attempt to cope with 1).

If these servers are to be relied on then it is best to install a reliable method of networking over such distances. The best way of doing this is usually by cable, though a dedicated radio link between the two buildings (dedicated access points at each end, dedicated aerials) can be a better bet in a few circumstances.

Reply to
David Hansen

If uyopu want your private e-mail broadcast round the neighborhood...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not the transfer but the time it takes, also if the file is needed in real time (such as a video file) you just can't do it, you will either have dropped frames of the application will crash.

Reply to
Jerry

In article , dennis@home writes

Yes in all its flavours!..

Yes bin there.. broke that!..

As part of the day job we have strung 1.4, 2.4, and 5.8, 7, and 23 Ghz links across short and quite lengthy distances.

If you possibly can, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, wire it. I have yet to see an operational link thats anywhere near as good as wired and with the proliferation of 2.4 Ghz devices and leaky microwave ovens, one of the prime suspects, plus video senders etc none of these units seem to ever achieve all what it sez on the tin!. If you must have wireless consider it useful for temporary connections and nothing much else..

Reply to
tony sayer

Hi,

In the short term you colud try a USB adapter with your laptop that has decent receive sensitivity, eg (this is the one I have):

In the long term if spending out on servers I'd get a MIMO modem/router and access point:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

My son-in-law says he can get a wireless connection anywhere, but he obviously hasn't tried the places I've tried!(:-(

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Like Jerry said - it's the time it takes - we do have other things to do during the day!!

Besides - the networks are under constant use from PLC control busses, safety busses, Windows farting around with it's domain identities - never mind people logging on and off, people disconnecting and reconnecting devices... you name it - they try and use it to break my networks!! _________________________________ The Grim Reaper

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Don't even think of saying WPA,

Clint Sharp

I was thinking of ipsec tunnels myself.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Yeah, cause your average joe even knows what IPsec, let alone has the expertise to set one up. The majority of users don't even know how to set up the router, encryption doesn't even appear on their horizon.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I doubt it's even in their people vocabulary, never mind horizon...

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks Dennis, good idea. I will go for this solution

Reply to
r.rain