Wimshurst whimsy?

In article , Andy Dingley writes

One might cheerfully make an electric chair for some folk, if only one could be *certain* they'd not decide to sit elsewhere when the chair was connected to the mains...

Will the swivel base of the ejector seat have some sort of aiming device?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned "The Boy Electrician" yet. I've got the

1960 reprint of the 1955 edition, which prophecies that computers will use transistors, and list illuminated mirrors as an example of a household appliance in the electrical age.

This book ensured that only moderately competent and lucky boys survived to manhood: there isn't a safety warning in it, and the construction of an open potential divider across the mains (AC or DC) was encouraged.

And there are plans for a Wimshurst machine.

I've just spotted the safety warning in it. After telling you how to buy an X-ray tube and a platinum-barium-cyanide screen, you are warned to be careful not to over-expose any part of the body.

-- Kevin Poole

**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)*** Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus

I think that particular design was discredited when it was found that you could only receive Gardener's Question Time on such a set...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

"Autolycus" wrote in news:bthvja$bsh$1 @news.freedom2surf.net:

Gives Darwin a chance

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

In message , Autolycus writes

Available from here

Bernard Peek

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No, but Scientific American used to have a regular feature with practical things to do- there was a water drop spark generator that I set as a Christmas A-level exercise when I taught physics. Made about 90V to ignite a neon bulb. They also had a 'partly-baked ideas' column. Not nuuty enough to be half-baked but not quite finished.

You might find back-numbers. This would be 70s and 80s I guess.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

The amateur Scientist colmuns are available on CD from

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"The Practical Scientist", IIRC.

The articles were published as a book. I have the CO2 laser one here somewhere. Never built it, needless to say.

Reply to
Huge