Wiggle

Why do so many people wiggle a drill before withdrawing it. Is is some sort of flourish / bad habit.

I have never seen a pillar drill with a wiggle setting.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Bad Habit

Many Chinese hobby pillar drills have wiggle features by design/manufacture.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There is a semi-legit use of the wiggle. It's when you've drilled a hole that's slightly too small.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Maybe because its possibly a little jammed by the debris? Is this the main worry you have in life?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What they really need is a shaped piece that can be mounted at hole depth to stop holes going too far and with perhaps a little grinding bit to help it come out.

I was going to be facetious and say most of my drills are bent so have a built in wiggle to start with! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:pqvm5j$suq$1@dont- email.me:

It defies logic Brian, when usually the objective is to drill a straight and parallel hole (especially in a wall). But - I used to be a Jig Borer so holes were my trade! I have several other worries - like why don't people correctly alight the screw slots on light switches.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I took a trip on Volk's Railway on Brighton seafront last week, sitting on a slatted wooden bench. I noticed that the nicely varnished slats were secure with slotted brass screws, and all of the slots were horizontal. Nice.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I used to admire the craftsmanship of the old 'slam-door' British Railways carriages. All the screw slots were aligned with the axis of the wood.

Reply to
The Other John

Phew!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The Other John wrote in news:pr9j2p$14m6$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

So easy for it to become instinctive

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The same reason that people used to "waggle" Polaroid photos while they were developing.

Reply to
Max Demian

The first time I noticed this nicety was when we bought a holiday cottage in Arkengarthdale. The T&G doors all had "T" hinges and the black Roundhead screws were all finished with the slots horizontal so neat it was noticeable.

Doesn't quite look as good with Pozi heads!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I take my screws to the same torque, and if they aren't lined up so what. I'd rather that than have some loose and some over tight.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris