Who?

Invented bank holidays? That will be the banks then, as they seem to be the only ones who take the holiday.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The unemployed take them as well.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Sir John Lubbock, who introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871. Before that they were simply religious festivals and saints' days observed by the Bank of England.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Erm and what did the bank of england worship, Gold and money?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would have thought that anybody with that basis of worship would stay open every day, including Sundays.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But banks do not have to work at all at least not in the olden days. they made the rules and invented the concept of interest, ie you pay me for making your money grow as long as you don't want it all back now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've never worked anywhere since graduating that didn't give me bank holidays.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Lucky you. When I was staff it was expected that we would work bank holidays if asked. We got credited seven Day's Off In Lieu as compensation or we could use one of those DOILs to get the BH off, without having to take any annual leave.

Now freelance work is work...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice