Whizzy round dust thingy

I bought an el cheapo Titan 6kg SDS t'other day simply to use as a breaker, SF were clearing them out for £30.

Came with a rubber cup shaped thingy that fits over a drill bit, spins around & collects the dust - it even works!

ISTR having a smaller orange thing years ago that also worked, but I can't find it.

Any idea what they are called & where I can get them. I dare not Google for spinning rubber thingy :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

search for what it does then drill dust collector :-)

but its a box of 20 or search on ebay

Reply to
Kevin

Not for SDS (I've not used it, so not a recommendation as such)

Andy Burns

SDS makes no difference to a device over or on the actual drill bit

Reply to
Kevin

I assumed not many SDS bits would be smaller than 10mm

Reply to
Andy Burns

one I'm thinking of was just a rubber cup, no batteries etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah true

Reply to
Kevin

Well, if you have an SDS drill and you want to drill a hole smaller than 10mm (such as for a normal screw/rawlplug), you'll need a smaller bit. I have them down to 5mm.

One tip is that SDS bits in many types of masonary will make a larger hole than the same sized bit would do in a regular drill. I therefore always start by using a smaller bit than the hole required. You can easily spin it out larger with a bigger bit afterwards (and enlarging a hole in this way where little/no hammer action is used doesn't tend to make it oversized).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What do you think of it? Is it worth getting for the breaking jobs (I have a Bosch rotary (without rotation lock) for drilling)?

Reply to
<me9

Its a beast. Heavy, powerful unsophisticated brute. About 1250w. I just use it for breaking jobs, seems ideal for that, too heavy for much drilling though.

Well worth £30 to have on the van for those odd breaking jobs. Don't know if SF have any left at that price.

The Medway Handyman

Doesn't it mark the wall where it spins round? Either by simply touching it or grinding in the dust from the drill?

The Karcher thing linked to looks interesting, though I can't see the vacuum feature working to hold it in place on all but the smoothest walls. If the suction is used to collect the dust as well that may be enough of a plus point to make it worth while. Bluetac or similar could hold it in place on rough surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I guess you live in a place with foam walls covered in plaster board. B-)

I use the SDS almost exclusively but then most of the walls here are stone. Much rather a 3 sec blast with the SDS than a minute with a hammer drill.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The central hole is a snug fit over the drill bit so its positioned a little away from the wall.

Karcher tend to market someone elses product under their name when they enter a market sector they aren't familiar with. They learn from that & then make their own version. I'd guess this isn't made by Karcher.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

until you drill in that is

Reply to
Kevin

Brick/Breezeblock external walls, but egg-carton and plasterboard internal, which I don't mind as much as the "amplifying" party wall which only became noticeable when the decent neighbours were replaced by a herd of partying elephants :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

I expect it's more effective when drilling upwards into ceilings, when a gap between it and the surface wouldn't really matter.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

positioned a

On verticals such as walls when mess needs avoiding I masking tape an opened poly bag below the intended hole so dust falls into it. - works a treat

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

or even a dust pan held by the boss (wife)

Reply to
Kevin

The concept is that it grips the drill bit whilst still allowing it to go forwards. The spinning effect seems to suck in the dust. I don't recall ever marking a wall with the orange one I had years ago.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or a fold of scrap paper. Finding a tape that doesn't damage the wall be that papered or painted I find the hard bit.

Or dustbuster held by a little helper.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice