white lithium grease - bearings / suitability ?

Does anyone know whether white lithium grease would be suitable for drum bearings on a tumble dryer, or wouldn't it be high-temp enough ?

I haven't taken delivery of it yet, but web sources seem to indicate it's suitable for up to ~350degF

...Our tumble dryer is screeching like a stuck pig, and my ol' man who used to be in appliance repair reckons it'll just be the bearings at the back of the drum needing some lovin'

Failing that, i'll have to try copaslip !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I think black molybdenum grease is more commonly used.

Reply to
dom

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Pretty much any decent bearing grease will do for low loaded/ low temp bearings like this. Except Copaslip of course which isn't a bearing grease and will seize them up in no time flat.

Reply to
Dave Baker

'Copaslip' isn't really a lubricant - it's an anti-seize paste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When mine was doing that it was actually the back of the drum rubbing on the casing due to the total collapse of the bearing and it's housing.

(like:)

new drum spigot, bearing carrier, pb bearing (and front bearing felt while I was there), delivered about £38 (and I think I could have got it cheaper elsewhere).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I would expect the front bearing felts to fail first.

Reply to
John

Its usually the bearing pads at the front which have worn. These are just felt or plastic shims and once they wear the drum rubs on the casing producing the screeching sound.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Whilst my front felt bearing had 'worn' it was nowhere near as 'failed' as my rear bearing!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's what had happened to my previous dryer - not convinced that's the problem with this one though :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Glad to have sorted that little one out then, i'll try the lithium first (it's already ordered), and depending on how it goes, try some molybdenum or just buy another dryer :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I think the problem with trying to lubricate the rear bearing is they can be in the full heat of the element so get pretty hot! Hence why there are normally a self aligning oil-lite self lubricating bush and not something more sophisticated?

Have you actually looked inside the unit yet Colin? On mine you could see the rear bearing via a small cover at the back?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nah, haven't bothered yet - it's your typical cheap and nasty model where half of the weight of the entire machine is self-tappers for no good reason, so it'll take me a while to get into it :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

LOL

I thought with most such appliances a couple of screws will get the lid off and most things can be seen from there?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well... it's a hotpoint, and my ol' man was a hotpoint engineer (having done all manufacturers for years prior) - he told me which cover to take off :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

If you are going to dismantle the tumble drier, I would have thought that you are better off replacing the bearings and have done with it

Reply to
geoff

Screeching could be the back bearing and probably means it needs replacing, but another source of a lot of noise is the front bearing which can be a strip of coarse fabric with a bit of resin in it. You can oil that with 3 in

1, WD40, anything like that.
Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

Only a temporary fix though

ball bearing races should be greased, not oiled

as opposed to sintered bearings

Reply to
geoff