Which solder for electronics?

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

+1. Lovely pieces of kit. They hold their price well used on fleabay though.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I use Antex low voltage 50 watt where you can set the temperture. I like the feel of Antex irons, and the selection of bits you can get easily - even in Maplin. However, they're not cheap. You can get similar from the Far East for much less.

Everyone always says Weller - and there's nothing wrong with them except in my case I prefer the 'feel' of the Antex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What do you use it for?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

  London SW

Antex TCS has advantage that temp control is in the handle , bit more travelling toolbox friendly than seperate PSU /base station, temp controlled irons are a dream to use after non temp controlled.

Gas irons can be very handy as well.

If have to use lead free, find that silver loaded lead free wets and flows better, Rapids own brand is good ,

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

TCS230 is £55 (probably ex-VAT) on the Antex website, doesn't stop someone fleecing mugs on eBay for nearly £105 (inc P&P)

For either price, I'd expect a silicone lead, rather than PVC.

Reply to
Andy Burns

55 incl VAT from Rapid, mine is a few years of heavy use and abuse old and still on it`s original element, element tends to be soft spot on cheap soldering stations.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Most Antex irons have a silicone lead option - obviously for extra cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use a 30+ year old Weller TCP - it was the industry standard iron for electronics use at the time, and I bought it when I was a student. These use the Curie-effect thermostatic bits. Gone through many bits, but never had the element fail, in spite of having forgotten to switch it off for many days on end. The PSU/base is much older - it was given to me as a dead one when I bought the TCP, but the only thing wrong was a blown fuse.

Before that, I used a 25W Solon with the mankiest bit you ever saw, but having learned to do good solder joins with that, I can use anything now. Have resorted to using a screwdriver on a gas hob on a few occasions, when that was all that was to hand. However, it's a delight to use a good soldering iron instead;-)

Also have a soldering gun (60/100W) which someone bought me, but they're pretty useless; too long to heat up to be regarded as 'instant' and no good (plated) bits available. Just occasionally, the 100W of heat has been essential for some specific task.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup, same here...

Reply to
John Rumm

I have one of those as well, and they are ok, but they lack the power and control finesse for the more difficult jobs. They also feel rather plasticcy compared to the antex irons of old. (and as for the poxy, short, stiff PVC "flex" they use on them today.... grrrr).

Reply to
John Rumm

Excellent Iron best there was .. and still is for that matter.

Got 2 of 'em;)...

Yep had a Henley Solon too;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

That made me go and check on ebay, and they're between £100-£150 second-hand!

Mind you, it was probably that price in relative terms when I bought mine - I recall spending some time considering if it was a wise expence on my student grant, before actually ordering it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

¿½150

Ouch. My TCP cost me nothing but a tube of glue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Mine was a PAT test failure rescued from a skip (cracked case now mended with glue).

Having used them for most of my working life the most common failure was the thermostat contacts failing, and very occasionally the element. It's not so easy getting spares now.

The thermostat on mine is a bit iffy, but a tap or two gets it going. When changing bits I give the thermostat a bit of exercise by removing and replacing the (cold) bit a few times.

If changing bits hot try not to drop them on the carpet. I have a severely bent ear from SWMBO and a weller tip shaped hole in the carpet in the spare bedroom (which doubles up as a workshop/office).

Reply to
<me9

I don't change bits. Simply have a few handsets and swap them. My home made solder/desolder station allows either of two handsets to be used at the press of a switch. The Antex units heat up so quickly it's not a problem. Certainly better than swapping hot bits. I have an other handset with a large tip rarely used - so jut re-plug if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm just trying to remember the various classic makes of (electric) soldering iron. The following spring to mind:-

Adcola Antex Weller Henley (Solon) Wolf Elremco WG Litesold Wahl (they did a rechargeable battery one (as well as hair clippers!))

Any others? I'm not thinking of modern Chinese stuff.

I too had a 25W Henley Solon. It's worst "feature" was the 3/16" diameter copper bit seizing in the aluminium holder at the end of the stem. Unless you regularly removed and descaled the bit (removing the split pin) you had to replace the Al holder, often damaging the element in the process. Of course, as you scraped down the bit it became a slacker fit in its holder and heat conductivity became worse... Still, it lasted me for several years.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Dad had a big F-off Wolf one with pistol grip handle, and a hefty copper chisel bit about 1/2" diameter, after the element went it was often used by heating on a ring of the gas cooker ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Like this one in fact, except the bit on dad's one was straight rthe then angled and was the full width of the barrel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

Still there from RS and Farnell I expect....

tony sayer

Yes my dad had one of those, must have been around the late 50's as you say stonking big thing, could solder lead drainpipes with it!...

Reply to
tony sayer