When people say Location, Location, Location...

If the bay is directly related to the difference in value of the houses, then that'd be a £35k loss.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

A full bay. Half bays look naff at times.

Reply to
IMM

With three combis, for luck.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

what's that got to do with anything?

read Martin's description of the two properties and their asking prices again.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

It was a half bay, which at times look crap. Good full bays do not. or in that crazy street rip the bay out and build a blank wall. Circa 5K.

Reply to
IMM

I like constructive thinking.

Reply to
IMM

Actually, they both have a rear lane, the first one has a lane running along the edge of the green area. Both gardens are big enough for a garage, so long as you wanted to build over the entire garden :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

boiler

You don't have talk some cobblers. Older houses seem to sell perfectly well without people giving a damn about insulation. People want double glazing, but only because it's obvious and feel they should have it.

Reply to
Scott M

Personally I feel that estate agents come unstuck when presented with bungalows. We moved into an extended 3-bed bungalow in Feb. It's ~1100sq ft and was up for £250k, but according to the previous owner the agent initially wanted to put it on for £220k. Personally I think it was undervalued by another £20-30k as it is far bigger inside and has a far more generous plot than any of the houses we looked at for the same price (which were 4 bed and usually ~900sqft.)

I think, from your description, £185k is just plain wrong. We saw some real doer-uppers and they were within £20k of done properties when we were looking.

Reply to
Scott M

condesning boiler

In this thread the oldie was quite rightly selling for less. As a an old car does.

Reply to
IMM

But the issue here surely is that the the figures mentioned are the asking prices, not the values; and it may well not reflect what punters will actually end up paying for the properties. Granted, 24% is a big difference, but I would be more intrigued if the two were with the same agent. You'll often find variation between prices at agents. There's one agent round my way where the asking prices are always higher than at the competition (though I don't know how this translates into selling prices). And look at the massive difference in valuations you always get from different agents in the "Million Pound Property Ladder" type TV progs.

When we sold our last house about 9 years ago, we got valuations from three agents; two were almost identical but the third was about 20% higher which we thought was laughable. We went with one of the lower ones, and the place sold for the asking price after quite some time (ie we obviously weren't selling at a 'bargain' price).

David

Reply to
Lobster

If your estate agent cant answer your q, and no-one else can either, I kinda assumed it was a dud valuation.

Maybe I'm being really really stupid, and IMM is in fact the property genius round here, but I dont think insulation would account for 65k of difference.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

That implies that the bay is responsible for the difference in price. It is possible that one of them has been priced by a less experienced agent and that one of them will never sell or the other one will be sold very quickly.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Absolutely! Sounds like a little bit of heaven to me.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Whoa, there, Dobbin! The cart is out of control! What's this? What's this? Old cars sell for less? Not if they are well older! That is, if you class an "old" car as a five-year-old Mondeo, fine, it will sell for less than a new one because of depreciation. But a Morris Minor

1000 from the 1960s? A Riley from the 1950s? Howzabout a Green Label pre war Bentley? You could build one of your favourite solar houses for what one of those is worth in good nick! What would my Ford Model Y be worth now if I still had it? It cost me a fiver in the late 1950s. Or my pre-war Hillman, my ex-police Wolseley, my Morris Series E, my Standard Vanguard, my 1934 Morris 8, my Ford Popular, my Triumph TR2, my Austin Mini? If I had all these cars right now and they had been restored, I'd be looking at a huge wodge of cash.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

The garage too. It is perceptions. Older houses are perceived as damp and cold and very expensive to run. Not to mention that they always need something doing to them every few years. Generally that is true, but there are exceptions. This may be one. It is up to the seller to make sure the agent highlights the exceptions.

Forced air heat recovery and vent heating systems are the best, but general perceptions by ignorance Joe Public is that they are not. Those with brains know better.

Reply to
IMM

Hi,

I wonder if agents alter thier valuation according to how busy they are?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

Errr! It's July?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Think we accepted the offer after a few weeks, but can't honestly remember as this was a few years back. Anyway, it didn't take so long that we were beginning to worry about having pitched the price too high, but long enough so we didn't worry we'd set it too low either!

David

Reply to
Lobster