wheelie bins

Yes but you cannot just put anything into them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But he did. I'm looking at it right now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, that would seem to say you can...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I stand corrected.

You cannot just put anything into them and expect the bin men to empty it:-)

vbg.

note to self - never kill a fat bird and dump her in the bin

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have a feeling that you did not like Mrs T.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Monkeys and Shakespeare ?

Reply to
geoff

Dennis will say that the spell check helped him out.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It wasn't RSI - it was cuts from sharp objects, broken glass, etc. poking through the bags. Also clearing up burst bags in the middle of the road.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed,. That is a job best left to councillors. Bin men are too educated for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have 8 video cameras, mainly to catch people tagging the neighbours' fences. They gave me the cameras. I also catch burglars and copper thieves. There are two signs saying 24 hour video recording but they think it's not true. But it is true. I've also captured half a dozen car accidents and given photos and videos to the blameless drivers, for which they are very grateful.

Reply to
Matty F

There are items that are not permitted in the rubbish bin, like oil and concrete. In the recycling bin there are more restrictions.

Reply to
Matty F

Mine takes >2 months to fill, but following the chicken saga, I've taken to putting it out every 2 weeks in the hot summer. I don't care about the maggots, but the smell was unacceptable.

The recyclable bin fills faster.

We also have a glass box, but that doesn't seem to have been collected for about 6 months now. Some of the neighbours have built up mountains of uncollected beer bottles; mine is mostly jars. I suspect the problem is they simply can't do anything with recycled glass anymore and run out of anywhere to store it.

You have to pay for them to take garden refuse, so I don't. I have a big trench to fill in my garden at the moment, where the neighbour pulled out a row of giant fir trees, so it goes in there. However, I suspect most people probably just hide it in the normal bin. Seems silly, because in many areas where there's a universal garden collection, the councils actually make money from it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And i keep wondering how long it will be before some council bean counters try to introduce a byelaw banning the use of domestic compost bins so that they can collect everyone's garden waste and get more revenue by selling the compost back to them.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

We have green wheelie bins for garden waste, cardboard etc. The council composts it all at a disused colliery a few miles away and twice a year invites people to come and get what they want, free of charge and within reason, two bags per visit I think. The rest of it is used on parks, cemetaries and council flower beds. It just saves on landfill charges.

We also have: blue bag for newspapers. Black box for metal and glass. pink bag for plastic bottles

along with the aforementioned brown wheelie for domestic rubbish and the green one for garden waste.

Reply to
Phil L

Just as importantly their recycling percentage looks better.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That was never an issue, because IME they simply didn't clear them up.

Reply to
Huge

aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing the "wrong" way?

We have wheelie bin for garden waste it must take them twice as long to empty that compared to the bagged domestic waste.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would be a bit futile with the number of parked cars in a lot of places, I suspect. If I happen to be at home when either the road or path sweeper are doing the rounds they have to drive past huge stretches due to people parked halfway on the road/path.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In the nearby town here, they alternate which side of the road you're allowed to park on during business hours - just so they can guarantee that a particular side will be clear* on a given day for sweeping / refuse collection / snow clearing etc.

  • almost, anyway - there are always one or two folk who forget, but I think the fine each time is around .

Council refuse collection's an optional extra over here - and I don't think they come out as far as where we live anyway, although there are a couple of private companies that do. We just haul our own to the dump as needed (and recyclables go to a collection point at a local petrol station, and garden waste goes to either the compost heap or into the woods)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It doesn't matter which way around the bin is or where it is. The top of the bin has an overhang so that the bottom of the bins don't touch, leaving clarance for the grab arms. There is a problem with parked cars, but I think they know the best times to pick up the rubbish when most cars have gone.

Reply to
Matty F