What to do with 25 l of brick acid?

Since some building work a few years ago I've had a nearly-full 25 litre container of brick acid hanging around and my ancient A level chemistry knowledge isn't helping me to think of anything useful to do with it. Are there any suggestions? or should I just give it to the first builder I see ;-)

Reply to
NoSpam

heavy duty descaling mainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's good for cleaning the toilet - shifts limescale nicely.

Reply to
Skipweasel

If fairly dilute hydrochloric acid can damage the glaze then I'd suggest it was already quite far gone.

What really matters if you're using it with bleach, is DON'T. Hypochlorite bleach and hydrochloric acid release chlorine. Many year ago I saw an emergency trachaeotomy done on a French student who happend to go into the loo at Hyde Park after such a mix had occured.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I've never seen real builders using it, and an unskilled builder who gets cement where he shouldn't have done probably doesn't even know about it. So I'm not sure who actually buys it. What was yours used for?

I have some which I bought to clean up bricks which I needed to reuse (after someone crashed in to both my gateposts, on different occasions).

It's excellent for cleaning toilet pans in hard water areas (only a tiny amount needed), and makes a very powerful descaler (even when diluted, which you must do), but you have to be sure it's not going to damage anything you use it on, or in its disposal path. However, I wouldn't use it if you have cemented clay or cast iron sewer pipes, and don't let large quantities escape down the drain anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

descaling, toilet cleaning, drainpipe unblocking, removing cement stains. Sell it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

We made some at school and almost killed someone

Well, of course, I had nothing to do with it

Reply to
geoff

descaling, toilet cleaning, drainpipe unblocking, removing cement stains. Sell it.

NT

Put in to gallon size containers and sell on gumtree or ebay (buyer collect)

Reply to
SS

How about tradeleftovers.com? Never been there but saw an ad recently.

Or freecycle, of course.

Apparently it is also useful for cleaning out plate heat exchangers on combi boilers.

Reply to
Andy Webber

Thats usually down the cavity I believe.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Should get more for it in litre containers. Not sure what the legal position is re labelling, who you can sell it to, liability etc.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

It only shows the unexpected dangers of cottaging.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I really wouldn't do this - glaze. You might show up problems on a new pan, if the pan is really old (the gardener's outside) it'll definitely do it and it'll look really dreadful.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've used it to prepare a concrete factory floor for painting, in accordance with the paint manufacturer's instructions.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sorting out the surface on some paving slabs

... snipped

Reply to
NoSpam

Heavy duty evidence/pest/annoying neighbour kid removal? ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston