What temperature does gas freeze at

It's more cold than snowy here, in what passes for hills in E anglia

-2 already and its only 18:45

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even ScotRail are employing the term, I'll have you know :-)

Reply to
Scott

It is -5C outside at my house in Kent and +3.1C in Anglesey.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Showing -3.8C here now.

Forecast says shit happens in the early hours and continues into the morning.

If I was a kid I'd be really excited and wanting a sledge and a snowman.

I know where my sledge is; so should I build a snowman?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

They installed the box outside with holes in the top that let in water a nd no drain holes. Their negligence, their responsibility. Perhaps they'll argue that rain and freezing weather could not have been anticipated in thi s country.

Some years ago, after the first cold snap in a decade, all the condensing boilers with external condensate drains stopped working when the drain pipe s froze. British Gas were charging for the remedial work to insulate and tr ace-heat the drains on boilers they'd installed. ISTR that water has usuall y turned into a solid at

Reply to
Onetap

Boiling point -161C according to your reference Couldn't see any reference to freezing.

Reply to
bert

Ah that box - I was scanning through the text. Point is many people refer to freezing point of gas or indeed lpg when they really are referring to boiling point. I must say I am surprised how close they are in this case compared to say propane.

Reply to
bert

SWMBO and I were reminiscing about 'vanning days, and insisting on propane over butane, to avoid being left gas-less.

It's quite interesting you jump from -180, to -42, to 0 degrees C for 1,3 and 4 carbons ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What was the advantage of butane over propane? I'd have thought that propane's lower freezing temperature would have meant that everyone used propane. Was butane cheaper, as long as you knew that you would never encounter low temperatures?

Reply to
NY

More energy per given mass (it burns hotter).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I suspect you mean more energy per given volume. That's called energy density and is why dizzle cars go further.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah. So if you're camping / caravanning in a warmer climate, you'd choose butane over propane. I knew there must be a reason to outweigh the better low-temperature performance of propane cylinders.

Shame that the reserves of gas under the ground are methane rather than butane or propane :-)

Reply to
NY

In article , NY writes

Historical mainly from the days when caravans were summer holidays only.

Reply to
bert

We have substantial reserves of propane. Last time I looked we were an exporter but that was some time ago

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

We have large (47kg, I think) orange bottles to feed a gas hob, and the gas stopped yesterday. I cleared a foot or so of snow off the top of the bottles and pipework, and more around the base, and the gas flowed again shortly afterwards. Aberdeenshire.

Reply to
Graeme

Probably ice in the regulator. They are not supposed to be exposed to ice and snow as it stops the moving bits moving.

Reply to
dennis

OK, thanks. No problems since.

Reply to
Graeme

You could probably put a plastic bag over them to keep them dry. Don't do it tight though and don't block the little hole.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, I'll have a go after the snow has finally gone. Could perhaps lay a plank or even half a paving stone over the top of the bottle, which would keep the snow off yet allow plenty of air to circulate.

Reply to
Graeme