What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

Dunno why you get better throughput with wifi, but it's all a bit of a mystery anyway! When I moved here in 2004 there was no broadband and NO prospect of getting it, and then suddenly* there were three or four OpenReach vans all the way up our lane, laying cables. Then we got one of the best BB provisions around. It's still more than enough for my purposes, though perhaps not fast enough to support, say, Netflix or Love Film. It takes about 25 minutes to download an 800MB movie, I reckon, though it depends on the time of day. I can recall once spending the *whole weekend* doing a continuous download of a Linux .iso image over dial-up!

  • The neighbours and I reckon some influential bigwig moved into the area and demanded BB straightaway.

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , charles writes

You can get a USB wifi link for a lot less than that. Just plug it in to one of the PCs and disconnect the cable.

Reply to
bert

In article , MM scribeth thus

Those things can affect that too;!....

and DAB....

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Mentalguy2k8 writes

Keep the packaging and then flog it on e-bay and recoup most of your money. Now it just so happens I have Netgear one going spare right here.

Reply to
bert

No neigbours within 1/2 a mile or so?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which is exactly what I've now done! And it works! I bought the WiFi WIRELESS 11 N USB ADAPTER LAN INTERNET NETWORK DONGLE FOR PC LAPTOP

150Mbps from Amazon for £4.20 (now it's £4.22) and that coupled with the TP-Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point, it works a treat!

Mind you, configuring the TP-Link wireless settings and security wasn't as simple as the manual makes out. The supplied software utility is supposed to connect to a web page for configuring, but in my case clicking Connect went nowhere. I disabled AVG and then Windows Firewall, still no go. Then I just typed the gizmo's IP address straight into Firefox and it connected!

Then the USB adapter, too, presented problems. I Installed the software, plugged in the USB adapter, but no wireless connection. So then I thought, ah, maybe XP is expecting a reboot by now, and indeed a reboot got it all working! I disconnected the short Cat5 cable that came with the new TP-Link plug and thereafter have been connecting to the web and my other PCs from that particular PC via wireless. The speed doesn't seem any different from what I get through Cat5. (The USB adapter's systray gizmo says "Connection: Excellent", which I suppose is to expected, given that the PC is quite close to the TP-Link wireless access point.)

But I'm still going to return to Cat5 after the op and said relative has gone back home. I can understand how wireless is useful for students who are constantly roaming through different parts of Uni etc, but for my purposes my desktops stay where they are all the year. And I don't myself like using laptops. Hate the keyboard and the mousepad!

Anyway, thanks for the tip! It's a mighty cheap testing method for a little over four quid. Maybe I can get a couple of quid for it on eBay or Gumtree. Otherwise it'll just go in my rummage drawer in case needed for something else.

MM

Reply to
MM

Me too, to both of those. But both sons are wedded to their laptops, and one even asked me to take his desktop away.

The wifi is useful for all the other things, though. In our case: four smartphones, three Kindles, a Zipit and probably other things (SWMBO's camera, perhaps).

Reply to
Bob Eager

The way of the world! Younger people think horrid *wires* are as ancient as the ark. My bro, ten years younger (although no spring chicken at 56) is trying to convince me to upgrade to Windows 8! What the heck for? XP works fine for me and the updates keep on coming.

None of which I have or am likely to, ever. When my niece from France or nephew from Germany pop over for a stay, I shall nonchalantly wave the TP-Link WAP at them and say, "No worries! Connect away!"

MM

Reply to
MM

I installed a TPLink cable router yesterday. All told there were three different sets of conflicting instructions so I followed what I assumed was the newest. "Congratulations, installation complete, happy surfing." All well and good, but no internet. Turned PC, modem, and router on and off a few times in varying permutations, kicked a few things, and we got there in the end. Performance is very varied so I'm sticking with wires for now.

Reply to
stuart noble

I've only got TP-Link "home plug" products for a powerline network. My router/ADSL modem is all wired and normally I use Cat5 100%.

I never had a problem with the TP-Link Home Plugs, e.g. TP-Link TL-PA211. I bought a couple to start with and just pressed the button on each for the appropriate number of seconds to get them to sync with each other.

My problem was with the wireless configuration of the newly purchased TL-WPA281 variant. Even this plug was a doddle *provided* one was only going to use the Cat5 connection. It was the additional wireless stuff that presented problems. Anyway, like you, I eventually got it working. However, as ever, I thought this is fine for me, I've been working in IT for 20 years. But what about a home user with little knowledge of computer stuff? Maybe manufacturers rely on the fact that there'll be a younger person around who can sus out any problems for mummy or granddad. Otherwise people would have to place an expensive callout to an IT engineer.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yesterday I upgraded the firmware on my Buffalo router to the open source DD-WRT

A little scary to do in that it carries a risk of 'bricking' an otherwise functional router; however it worked OK and the router is so, so much better as a result. Loads more functionality [1], and so far, according to my whinging teen, improved signal around the house - would thoroughly recommend it.

David

[1] Including the ability to block internet access to whinging teens, either as a sanction, or when they are supposed to be asleep or doing homework :;
Reply to
Lobster

Only for another 15 months though, sadly:

Lobster

I run a Smoothwall which allows me to do this and much, much more.

Reply to
Huge