What are metric drill bit diameters based on?

What are metric drill bit diameters on sale in the UK based on?

In a typical pack I might see drill bits with the following diameters.

2.0 2.5 3.0 3.2 3.5 4.0 4.2 4.5 4.8 5.0 5.2 5.5 6.0 etc

I thought those odd sizes were due to some equivalence with inch measurements. But I don't think that is the case.

Nor do they seem linked to the area of the hole cut by the drill bit.

So what are they based on?

Reply to
tommo

I would assume they're based on how many bits they think they can sell you, plus what they have ready supplies of. The sizes seem to match values here quite well:

I cant see much use for quarter mm steps in bit sizes, but theyre all still usable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's hardly a typical pack. Most just have the 0.5mm increments.

They're not even the tapping sizes for common thread values. Where have you seen such a pack on sale? That might give a clue as to its purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

4.2 is for M5 and 3.2 is for 1/8 pop rivets.

It can be difficult to get 4.2 alone so I bought a pack of 10 from SF (lots of 5mm on bikes).

Reply to
PeterC

i have a large tray of drill bits i bought in germany from a hobby fair a few years ago, about 300 bits in total, about 10 of each size for the small uns, 5 of the ones over 5mm, and they all go up in 0.1mm steps,

i only bought them 'cos they were a good price, i dont do anything that requires 0.1mm presision with a drill bit, if i need a larger hole than the bit in the chuck, i wiggle it about till i get the requires hole size :)

Reply to
gazz