wet room - how to?

Is there a consensus on minimum dimensions?

One of my medium-term plans is to shift the downstairs loo into the space under the stairs, and I quite fancy getting a shower in there too. However, I reckon 1300 x 800 would be unusably tight.

John

Reply to
john.sabine

Then it wasn't designed with proper ventilation, heating and drainage.

I imagine that they would feel relieved.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's every single one I have tried. So "they" not "it" and you're still wrong, They're just a shit idea.

Imagine what you like.

Reply to
Steve Firth

dennis

There is no difference between a wet room and a shower.. if it isn't big enough to keep the dry area dry without a screen you need a screen. You can't build a wet room in a modern house without a screen unless you lose the master bedroom IMO. You obviously don't live in a mansion like Andy does and haven't used a proper wet room.

I have once, in a hotel at CeBit, it was 16 feet square approx, that was OK but it was £400 a night and the only room I could get.

Reply to
dennis

In which case I've never seen a properly designed one. Wet rooms are a stupid idea in UK homes in our climate. If you can have a huge one with nothing in it other than a shower (IOW, an enormous walk-in shower) in a warm climate (or put up with the costs of heating it) then they may be tolerable. But I'd as soon not have damp towels, soggy loo roll and wet footprints in the bedroom, which have been the inevitable consequences of every wet room I've ever used.

Reply to
Huge

Way too small. We have a 1400 x 900 shower cubicle in the master bathroom and that's approaching OK. The best shower I've ever used was in the Bryant Park Hotel in Manhattan and that must have been about 6 foot by 4 foot. And it still had glass doors that led off a gigantic bathroom. Wet rooms are a stupid idea.

Reply to
Huge

As a wet room that a feckin stupid idea, and just goes to illustrate my point.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The floor is still wet, even if most of the standing water has drained away.

If that's true then it's been well copied around the world.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You're obviously blowing it out of your behind. I've tried wet rooms in several places not one of them has been satisfactory, they're simply a really stupid idea.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Same here.

Even the ones in the Villa d'Este suck. IMO it's simply wannabee middle class crap, and I prefer a decent shower with a screen and a tray level with the floor so that there's no lip to stub one's toe on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Correct choice of ventilation, heating and tiles ensures that this is a non-issue.

Really?

I don't think I've been in a place with a shower curtain outside the UK for a good five years. Glass screens, possibly, but not curtains.

Shower curtains are revolting things - almost as revolting as bathroom carpet.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't go to the USA much?

Reply to
Huge

Under floor heating.. why do you think wet rooms have heating under the tiles?

If the ones you have seen don't have heating to warm and dry the floor they are not wet rooms but a bodge.

Reply to
dennis

Or badly implemented.

Reply to
dennis

There's no "or" about it. They are all badly implemented, no matter how much they cost, no matter where they installed or by whom no matter what is lavished on underfloor heating, or on ventilation or indeed fittings and fixtures. Wet rooms mean damp towels, condensation on fittings and damp toilet tissue. It's an inevitable consequence of how they are constructed. And before you start of puffing yourself up about hotel prices, £400 is chump change for a hotel room compared to some of the places where I have tried and been disappointed with, wet rooms.

Reply to
Steve Firth

To turn the room into a Turkish bath if anyone uses the shower.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Turn the fan on!

Reply to
dennis

I try to minimise it.

Where it happens, I remov the shower curtain if it exists completely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then you are not being discerning enough. It isnt a question of price.

I have never had a problem and I am extremely picky about details like this.

Three things are certain. If a hotel has a shower curtain in the bathroom it is removed. I have not removed many in the last few years. Secondly, if it has an eco notice about putting the towels on the rack vs. the bath on the pretence of saving detergent, then *all* towels go into the bath, If it has a card device to control electricity to room lighting, a business card goes into the reader and remains there for the whole visit, the air conditioner is turned on full and windows are opened.

Reply to
Andy Hall