Way OT - genealogy software

I know there are zillions of web sites/packages for genealogy tree building but I wonder if there is anyone here who is actually using a (shareware) genealogy program themselves? I've come across some old letters that mention family history and thought it'd be fun to research it a little :-) All the advertised items are better that all the rest (!) so I thought an actual user recommend would be a good starting point. thanks

Reply to
dave

So go and learn about not spamming newsgroups.

Reply to
Roger

Well, I guess it's sort of DIY, but there's probably a better newsgroup. I use this:

Bob Eager

Check the FAQ and archives of soc.genealogy.britain.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The Mormons have the best software, and the best database. You don't have to join IIRC. They do posthumous baptism to get their relatives into heaven, I believe - so it's quite important to them to get it right.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

The link I posted (it was a tinyurl) was to the Mormon site. You can get a UK census for a ridiculously small amount of money from them, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

perfectly good job. It's free, but you can also get a 'companion' program for about a fiver which greatly enhances the reports which you can produce from the database which you create within PAF5.

Reply to
Roger Mills

although, ancestors reunited sounds a bit scary ...

Reply to
geoff

All the online ones I've tried were rubbish. I've ended up using Gramps which I'm pretty pleased with.

matthelliwell

What on earth made you think he was spamming. Am I missing something?

Reply to
Tinkerer

I agree, PAF 5 is very good and I use it. I have also found "Family Tree Builder" from

which has some good reporting facilities. I move my files between the two as Gedcoms.

Reply to
Tinkerer

It worked for Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, you are missing something.

Roger has a low IQ and his carers allow him access to the net.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have been using Legacy from Millenium for years. The free version is pretty good, but you can get a few extra features by paying.

I publish the family tree to the web using "The Next Generation".

Pete

Reply to
PeteS

A belated "thanks all" for the very interesting suggestions & links.

Reply to
dave

Dave, you might like to give Legacy a go

use the De Luxe, paid for version but the free version is more than adequate. A very widely used prog with a heap of support and info, easy to use as well.

Reply to
Old Git