Waterproof sealer for sink cut out

The instructions for fitting the laminate worktops in my kitchen state that the edges of the sink cut out must be protected with a waterproof sealant.

Do I just smear standard silicone sealant over the exposed edge or is there a specific product to use here - couldn't see anything obvious on Screwfix. Did think of using PVA but not sure on it's 'waterproofness'

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

It's more usual to seal the sink to worktop interface. With silicone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last couple I've fitted came with a roll of putty for the purpose, which seems to work very well. If water is getting underneath this, I don't think anything you apply to the cut surface will prevent the inevitable, so I don't bother treating it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can understand this stricture appearing in the instructions for the worktop. The sink may or may not come with any. Applying a coat of primer and a coat of gloss over the raw edge would take only half a minute each.

Silicone can't be relied on to seal a raw cut edge of chipboard (but would be fine for sealing the sink to the laminate) so I insist on doing the paint thing as well.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

=================================== Wood varnish is good because it tends to penetrate the porous cut edges. A couple of coats allowed to dry before your choice of bedding 'putty' or silicone. Mask the varnish edge so that it doesn't come into contact with the silicone or putty in case there's some kind of reaction between the two.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Inset sinks normally come with a gasket. Unless you're having a butler's sink, I can't see the point of sealing it. IME the best waterproofer is paraffin wax i.e. rub or melt candle wax into the exposed edge. Less messy than silicone

Reply to
stuart noble

It's still a good idea to seal the edges in case any water gets past the gasket. I used clear silicone on mine - applying a bead with a sealant gun, and then spreading it with my fingers.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes.

Reply to