Walls over drains

Hi

I know how to bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe if the are at right angles to each other,but would like to know how close ca foundation/wall be put to a underground pipe when it run parallel to i

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

The bottom of the foundation must be at least 150mm below the bottom of the drain so it will be bearing on solid soil and won't put any load on the drain. That way you can go as close as you like, although put some formwork in between to stop the concrete surrounding the drain. And take care not to move or damage the drain, especially if it's an old stoneware one.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Assuming its house walls, there are some rules depending upon pipe depth, but from memory 1m, but please check, as it depends upon the relative depths of the pipe compared to the foundation.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Huh? Mostr of mine run almost alongisde...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At ground level I guess thay can, I guess its about not undermining the foundation when you dig the trench.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

"Rick" wrote

True, but the question was how close can a foundation/wall go to an existing drain - not the other way around.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well we dug the foundations a LOT deeper than the drains.

But that of course was a new build with modern foundation depths. At least 1.2m and up to 2.8m in places where trees are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are detailed Building Regs at:

at section H 2.25 onwards

Hope this helps

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie, this reference to the Building Regs relates to laying drains near existing buildings, so as not to weaken the foundations. The OP wants to know how close he can dig a foundation to an existing drain - it's not the same question. New foundations are covered under Part A.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor