Wall vent replacements

We have a number of vents similar to this (aptly named) Hit and Miss vent:

They are horrible things. Cheap looking, dirt retaining, incapable of closing off ventilation when not required, etc. Assuming that I am not the only one who hates them, what else has anyone used to replace them? We do wish to retain some open/close facility.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

According to my Buliding Inspector, once final approval is granted, most people simple paper over the gap left where they have been removed :-)

I went into this in some depth, because strictly I am supposed to have some. Upstairs they allowed me windows securely latched and open a crack

- which we use a lot to keep some airflow going.

Downstairs we have the same, but they are verboten, and I refused to have vents in the window frames which are teh standard way to do it now with replacement windows, and have nothing. In practive two thwacking great chimneys and underfloor vents to two open fires and an aga effectively ventilate the place, but are not 'to regulation'..But I may yet get by on the 'spirit of the regulations'

If I have to, I'll uise brass hit and miss vents - these are definitely available widely, and a lot nicer than that to which you gave the URL.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b.c:

Thanks, TNP. Let's face it, *anything* is nicer than those plastic ones. I wouldn#t consider replacing it (rather than blocking it up) except in the kitchen or the WC - which is where I was thinking about when I posted.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt