Video surveilance

Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same posts. They are on tall posts and the cameras are clearly trained onto the public road.

I thought that such cameras needed to carry an appropriate notice - or that they are just not permitted.

I feel inclined to register my concern - but to whom?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cameras pointing at bridges etc. to collect evidence about who hits them are common place. The cameras come without warning signs about the collection of this evidence.

Even with many speed cameras the signs are only placed anywhere within a half mile radius and not necessarily close to the camera.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

But can a private (or business) do this?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Consider your concern registered, to us.

This seems like a very sensible action. What are you concerned about?

Reply to
Nick

Why are you concerned?

Anyone can put up a cctv camera but they now have to comply with the DPA which basically means you can't go posting the videos on public sites, etc. Businesses still have to register under the DPA but not home users.

There is no requirement to put up speed camera signs either. It used to be that with the safety cameras you had to put up signs and paint them yellow, but that was so the councils could keep the cash.

The police have always been able to hide cameras, but they don't get any revenue so they only do it where speeding is causing a problem.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, they can. Can't remember the details, but have a look at the ICO site. Ah, here we are:

About halfway down is the bit about collecting images from outside private property.

I have two cameras trained on the road outside where I (and neighbours) park our cars.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You can post a video of someone committing a crime in a public site.

Reply to
ARW

You can't get a more public place than the open road so is dashcam footage in breach of the DPA? Perhaps the horse will sue me.

Graham.