Victorian cast-iron fireplaces.

Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the bedrooms in my son's house. Is there any real market in these things - or is a scrap metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

Reply to
Ret.

of course

NT

Reply to
Tabby

There is a real market. I sold one for 75 quid. Clean it up, ebay it and say 'collection only'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Look on Ebay for something similar, to find the asking price. If you look for completed sales, you'll see how much they actually fetched.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for everyone's responses. Very helpful.

Reply to
Ret.

I will do that. Thanks.

Kev

Reply to
Ret.

To get the best price you might have to flog it to the luvvies somewhere in the Arty-Farty effete South.

Archway RD. , Highgate, somewhere like that.

Once, heading for the M1 whilst waiting at traffic lights somewhere there I noticed an antique shop that apparently made a living selling Flat - Irons.

Can't understand it we've had the electric here for ages.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Their main use these days is for branding northern servants, as they are increasingly of some modest value for some reason.

Reply to
Bolted

They are the best way to stop bacon curling up on the griddle, so your bacon butty is nice and easy to munch.

Reply to
John Williamson